Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum, any help would be great. We did a Head gasket on an 04 sequoia 4.7L to fix a stripped thread on a spark plug tube on the passenger's side. car starts up right away but has a valve type noise on that side. one of my techs thinks the vvt actuator might not be priming up because the noise is towards the front of the engine by the timing cover. has anyone else experienced this type of problem?? any help would be great. :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd be more concerned that 1 of the shims fell out from underneath one of the shim buckets. The shims are about the diameter of a pencil, sit underneath the bucket, on top of the valve. If a shim falls out of it's machined pocket under the shim bucket, it creates alot of free-play between the cam/bucket/shim/top of valve stem, and clatters noticeably due to the clearance.
The other possibility could be you didn't keep the scissors gear on the exhaust cam(I think) wound up by screwing in a bolt to the threaded hole prior to separating the cams. If that is the case, you have to remove the cam with the scissors gear, wind up the clockspring in the gears by rotating the smaller gear enough to install the bolt into the threaded hole through the 2 halves of the scissors gear, then reinstall it, correctly timed as before, then remove the screw after torquing down the cam caps prior to rotating the engine. If you guys didn't do that, then the 2 cam gears(intake and exhaust) slap back and forth against each other at idle because there is no pre-load to limit gear backlash.This sounds worst at idle, and it is toward the front of the head, where the gears are located. Let us know what you find. Good luck man!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts