Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a "discussion" with a guy on another forum about whether or not there is a required 30,000 mile valve train adjustment that is not included and will cost the owner $1k to get done AND is required to keep the engine warranty intact?

Is this true or is the guy just blowing smoke up everyone's arse?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Look in your scheduled maintenance guide. The 5.7 V8 has hydraulic valve lifters so no adjustment is needed. The 4.7 V8 has mechanical valve lifters so an "audible" valve clearance inspection is required at 60,000 miles, but it's better to check the clearances manually because valves with overly tight clearances will be quiet.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Look in your scheduled maintenance guide. The 5.7 V8 has hydraulic valve lifters so no adjustment is needed. The 4.7 V8 has mechanical valve lifters so an "audible" valve clearance inspection is required at 60,000 miles, but it's better to check the clearances manually because valves with overly tight clearances will be quiet.

Wow solid lifters on the 4.7L engine. Anyone know what the 4.7L redlines at compared to 5.7L off the top of their head?

·
Registered
1 Posts
How about the Tundra with the Lexus V8 with overhead cams? Believe, Service manual calls for valve adjustment every 30k miles? Not a warranty item...
18 hours labor...

What are these engines: Engine valve clearance (2UZ-FE, 1GR-FE) ??

·
Registered
217 Posts
So is this required or not? I see no where in my manual that calls for a valve adjustment on my valves at 30,000 miles for my 5.7, I sure hope not, but I did see where they recomend you replace the spark plugs every 30,000 miles, which I thought was sort of odd as my Chevy said 100k before changing

·
Registered
548 Posts
i thought the 30k spark plug change is for the 6 cylinder, not either of the v8's???
i call bs on the needed valve adjustment. isnt this engine self adjusting anyway............(variable valve timing)

·
Registered
21 Posts
i thought the 30k spark plug change is for the 6 cylinder, not either of the v8's???
i call bs on the needed valve adjustment. isnt this engine self adjusting anyway............(variable valve timing)
Variable valve timing is something that alters when the valves open and close to go along with the spark. Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
656 Posts
The 5.7L does not need valve adjustments. It is hydraulic and fully automatic. Nor does it need a spark plug change at 30k, the manual states 120k spark plug change intervals.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Wow solid lifters on the 4.7L engine. Anyone know what the 4.7L redlines at compared to 5.7L off the top of their head?

There are no "lifters" on either the 4.7 or 5.7.

The 4.7's cam lobes ride indirectly on the valve. Separated by a shim or bucket of varying thickness......Ford recently went to this set up on the 3.5L V6 and it has a valve adjustment recommendation of 150,000 miles.

The 5.7 uses a set up like the Ford DOHC V8's in that the cam lobe rides on a rocker arm/finger. One side activates teh valve and one side is on a hydraulic plunger that takes up lash....not unlike a lifter in a pushrod motor.

Nearly all Japanese inline DOHC motorcycle motors use the bucket/shim set up....it is probably the most reliable for the stratospheric RPM's they achieve.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
So is this required or not? I see no where in my manual that calls for a valve adjustment on my valves at 30,000 miles for my 5.7, I sure hope not, but I did see where they recomend you replace the spark plugs every 30,000 miles, which I thought was sort of odd as my Chevy said 100k before changing

Kathy Ricks almost got it right.....the 4.7 requires adjustment, but not because it has "solid lifters" (along with periodic timing belt replacement)

The 5.7 requires neither.

·
Registered
798 Posts
There are no "lifters" on either the 4.7 or 5.7.
The 4.7's cam lobes ride indirectly on the valve. Separated by a shim or bucket of varying thickness
Toyota considers the bucket a valve lifter. Example: The Toyota factory service manual calls the buckets "valve lifters".

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
my manual says that the spark plugs needed to be changed every 30,000 miles to maintain the emmissions warranty on the 5.7
I think you are mis-reading it, if you go back and look I am sure it denotes that the replacement is for a 1GR-FE engine, which is the v6.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Then the manual is wrong.................it aint "lifting" nothing.....LOL!!!
Yes they are if you study the valve train components the way they're set up. Although they're in a totally different place and arrangement, they function basically like "conventional" lifters from camshaft to pushrod on a non overhead cam engine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
22 Participants
Finder
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing