Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...
I was thinking I had been cheated by Toyota in that they were saving a couple dollars by taking out some of the delay in the variable intermittent wipers. Discovered today that I don't believe I have actually been cheated. Seems to me a fatter/wider line on the wiper switch would indicate a longer delay than a thinner line. I believe the switch is simply wired backwards. Turning the dial up to the fat line gives less delay than turning it down to the thinner line.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That's the intuitive way to look at it, but intuitive is not Toyota's strong suit.
Thinner end of the line is longer delay. Fat end is shorter delay.
I thought it was ass backwards at first, too.
Also, there is timing adjustment between the detents, too.

Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ha... And I thought I was the only one who noticed this. One of a handful of things that make me scratch me head about the Tundra...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it down to "Distance to Empty", "5 miles" and stopped to fill up. It only took 21.5 gallons. Not a very good calculator.

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
Got it down to "Distance to Empty", "5 miles" and stopped to fill up. It only took 21.5 gallons. Not a very good calculator.
That's about right. You can stretch it another 50 miles or so, but don't run it out of gas. That can damage the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
So...
I was thinking I had been cheated by Toyota in that they were saving a couple dollars by taking out some of the delay in the variable intermittent wipers. Discovered today that I don't believe I have actually been cheated. Seems to me a fatter/wider line on the wiper switch would indicate a longer delay than a thinner line. I believe the switch is simply wired backwards. Turning the dial up to the fat line gives less delay than turning it down to the thinner line.
The variable wiper control is indeed backwards on the 07 Tundra; it is correct on my 09 Venza and 11 Sienna, as well as my Hondas. I believe Toyota corrected it on later Tundras, but I don't know which model year (and later) got the update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts