Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with varnish showing up on my dipstick. I am in the process of trying to determine what is causing this. The first time it occurred I sent an oil sample in for analysis and it came back normal. Has anyone else noticed this? I have an 07 tundra with 72,000 miles. Most of my time is on the highway.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Yeah, the type oil oil and your change interval will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am using Amsoil and have for 30 years. Sent them the sample and they had it independently tested by oil Analyzers. The oil had 14,000 miles on it. I was using the 0w-30 oil. They had me change the oil to petroleum and to retest in 5,000 miles. The petroleum started to show varnish by 6,000 miles.

I know that toyota motors in the past had some sludge problems. However, this is varnish. What I can't understand is how varnish can show up and the oil test good. I have the analysis and it came out really good.

Any possibilities?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Change your oil every 3K for dino and 5K for synthetic.

Oil breaks down - that's what it does for protection. It is not meant to last 14K miles.

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
nah, I just realize that after 5K miles my Mobil1 full synthetic is pretty damn dirty. I'd rather change it and not ahve "varnish" on my dipstick lol

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
What motor do you have? If it's the 5.7, 0w-30 is the wrong weight oil. 0w-20 is what you should be using. I've used amsoil synthetic in my 07 but I never put more than 5000 miles on it. Amsoil has some ridiculous recommended change intervals. If you have 72,000 miles on your truck and you change the oil every 15,000 miles that's only 4 times you've changed the oil so far? I don't want that truck. What your seeing on the dipstick is probably "blow by" from worn rings.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The truck burns no oil. I owned a 2,000 tundra. Changed the oil every 20,000 miles and sold it with 240,000 miles with burnt valve. I saw it on the road last summer. Never burned oil. I certainly understand that some of you would never think of letting the oil go beyond 5,000 miles. For some of you, that would take 4 months to get to. However, I drive 30,000 miles a year.

Oils are light years from the 80's, yet its ingrained into folks that it must be changed. But beyond the question of when you should change your oil, I am trying to figure out why it would occur if nothing shows up in the analysis. Toyota had the sludge problem and I suspect all those folks changed their oil at the recommended intervals. Yet the problem occurred. The 5.7 in 2007 was a new motor and my truck has had a lot of other problems. I bet Toyota has over $5,000 invested in this truck after the sale.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
rock, 5k for dino is what toyota calls for so thats what makes the most sense for me. :) i aint got no stickin varnish on my stick......

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
The truck burns no oil. I owned a 2,000 tundra. Changed the oil every 20,000 miles and sold it with 240,000 miles with burnt valve. I saw it on the road last summer. Never burned oil. I certainly understand that some of you would never think of letting the oil go beyond 5,000 miles. For some of you, that would take 4 months to get to. However, I drive 30,000 miles a year.

Oils are light years from the 80's, yet its ingrained into folks that it must be changed. But beyond the question of when you should change your oil, I am trying to figure out why it would occur if nothing shows up in the analysis. Toyota had the sludge problem and I suspect all those folks changed their oil at the recommended intervals. Yet the problem occurred. The 5.7 in 2007 was a new motor and my truck has had a lot of other problems. I bet Toyota has over $5,000 invested in this truck after the sale.
every 20,000 miles? yeah..thats bad even for synthetic oil.... and 30k miles a year aint nothing anymore...but doesnt mean u should stretch oil changes out nearly that long unless the manufacturer says so....our benz says 13k miles and i think thats too far but hey, its their warranty so their dime if it breaks..

·
Registered
117 Posts
The typical Amsoil user obsesses over oil, oil analysis, etc. and ignore preventive maintenance to the rest of the engine like the valve clearance inspection requirement every 60,000 miles. That's why they ende up with serious problems like burned valves.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i agree. i'll just keep changing mine every 5k miles or so with whatever dino oil wally world has on sale and keep on driving way past the amosoil lubed trucks that dont see any other attention....

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
I am using Amsoil and have for 30 years. Sent them the sample and they had it independently tested by oil Analyzers. The oil had 14,000 miles on it. I was using the 0w-30 oil. They had me change the oil to petroleum and to retest in 5,000 miles. The petroleum started to show varnish by 6,000 miles.

I know that toyota motors in the past had some sludge problems. However, this is varnish. What I can't understand is how varnish can show up and the oil test good. I have the analysis and it came out really good.

Any possibilities?
What makes you suspect it's varnish?

Which filter are you using: WIX 57041?
Typically I'd say try a NAPA Gold filter, but they're the same filter. So that's out...

Maybe you should switch from the 0w30 signature series (SSO) to the 0w20 (ASM) for your next interval.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I know amsoil is good, but I wouldnt run any oil past 10K in the tundra. I am a member of bob is the oil guy, and I know the deal, but I still wouldnt do it.
The money spent on oil analysis, which should be done when doing extended drains, could be spent on new oil instead.

Im only at 45K miles, and have been doing 5K intervals the entire time. I recently decided to go to 7500 miles for my next change, which will allow me to only change the oil twice a year instead of three times. I usually use penzoil platinum 5w20........

Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
750 Posts

So what other problems has it had other than an operator that will not follow recommended maintenance instructions?

You have a nice truck and you spent a good chunk of money on it, so why in the hell are you trying to be a cheap skate where maintenance is concerned?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I know amsoil is good, but I wouldnt run any oil past 10K in the tundra. I am a member of bob is the oil guy, and I know the deal, but I still wouldnt do it.
The money spent on oil analysis, which should be done when doing extended drains, could be spent on new oil instead.

Im only at 45K miles, and have been doing 5K intervals the entire time. I recently decided to go to 7500 miles for my next change, which will allow me to only change the oil twice a year instead of three times. I usually use penzoil platinum 5w20........

Can you post a picture?
agreed. why spend time and money on oil analysis when just changing it would eliminate that need altogether. weird.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It's called being environmentally friendly; considering extended oil changes.

Most good quality synthetic oils can easily go 10k miles or one year, after engine breakin. Amsoil & redline are good candidates for 15k+ however, the 15k+ crowd is doing oil analysis to keep an eye on things and they're driving a lot of hiway miles with little city miles & no towing. Mostly City mileage greatly reduces the OCI on all vehicles, or oil for that matter.

Rockstate made a comment on how bad the oil looks at 5k miles. Well Rock; you NEVER go off of the color of the oil to determine that it's dirty or bad. Mobil one or PP can easily go 10k miles safely, so why waste a good synthetic?

I drive my truck about 10k per year with a lot of towing; and i'm safe with a 1 yr interval or 13k miles running Amsoil. Towing miles is harder on oil, so a 13k mile cap is there on my truck as i'll never go over that without a change.

IMO the op is going a little long on a 20k mile change without an oil analysis showing it's safe to do so. Then again, this is my opinion. But it's his truck..............so whatever he feels comfortable with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know some of you in the maintenance police look at what I am doing as being cheap and not taking care of my truck. First, Amsoil has paid for the analysis, not me. They are helping me determine what might be going on. I love maintaining my truck. But I also don't like changing the oil six times a year when I know I have an oil that is warranted for 25k. I also have a by-pass filter on the truck which adds another quart to the capacity and filters the oil down to two microns.

Someone asked if I was sure it was varnish. I took a picture of it and sent it to Amsoil and they confirmed. I thought it was sludge.

My truck had a rumble strip transmission, the rear end replaced, the front end replaced, all wheel bearings and a few other things I can't remember. They were not caused by a lack of maintenance but a new model with issues.

I would put my (14,000 mile) Analyzed 0w-30 up against your 5,000 dino oil for a comparison. Out of a rating system of zero for normal to four for critical, it came out a zero. I love this truck but its has its share of problems and this may be another one.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hmmm. Are the bypass filters flowing enough oil? Perhaps they are slowing down oil flow enough that too much heat is building up in the oil and it is causing the varnish. You could also be experiencing the results of long intervals with fuel contamination in the oil. Do you do a lot of idling with your truck, or stop and go driving?

I understand wanting to get the most miles out of your oil, and I don't use a dino oil either (currently running Mobil 1). I do change it out every 5000 miles though, even though it is a pain sometimes. I just look at it as being cheap insurance against wear, contaminate buildup, additive/viscosity break down, and excessive fuel contamination in the oil. For me changing every 5000 is overkill and I know it since I do about 90% highway miles, but it has worked for me so far.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts