Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on a loaded 2010 Venza for my lovely wife and getting a good < invoice price from the fleet dealer. I'm trading in my wife's FJ Cruiser as she's sick of the clam shell doors and lack of visibility.

However, I'm not seeing any Venza's on the streets in CO. I test drove the AWD 3.5L on a steep hill and found it to be very good in terms of uphill passing power and in cornering. Felt very stable and after more research seems people like them in the snow too.

The interior with leather looks like a lot of bang for the buck, feels more like a Lexus than a Camry and, overall, seems to me to be very well built. I'm not new to Toys, I've had many of the big ones, drive a Tundra now, and see no reason to even look at Nissan or others based on personal experience with Toyota but can anyone shed any light on why Venza's get no attention?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I think they are awesome vehicles! :tu:

I just feel that maybe not everyone wants a compromise between a car and an SUV...they either want a car that's lower to the ground, smaller, and easier to maneuver, OR they want the big hulking SUV. Venza is neither, but has a little of both.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that does makes sense, but I suppose that could also be said of the Murano, Edge, Tuscon and other cross-overs and I see these all over the place. I would think the cross-over would be popular, esp one from Toyota. Gas prices continue to threaten the large SUV market and I would think a more navigable, less thirsty CUV would be sought after.

I guess it’s hard for us to break from the tradition that bigger is better and maybe folks don’t want to meet up with an Escalade in a Venza, that’s my only concern. Like I said, I was very impressed with this package, could see using one on a long haul over my Tundra when it’s just the two of us and no ATVs.

Despite it's seeming lack of popularity I think I'm gonna go thru with it. My 2000 Tunny, 2007 FJ, 2007 Tunny were all rare on the road at one time too, maybe we'll start a trend here in CO!

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I've only seen a couple of them running around town. Never really cared for them myself. Though I would rather have a 2010 Nissan Murano LE AWD.
Chris

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I had a rental Murano in Tennessee. IMO it's overpriced for what you get and the interior quality. I was really surprised when I priced out the same vehicle on Nissan's website, and I'm not really a tightwad when it comes to vehicle costs...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've only seen a couple of them running around town. Never really cared for them myself. Though I would rather have a 2010 Nissan Murano LE AWD.
Chris
Have you driven either the Murano or the Venza? I've test drove both and the Venza way outperformed the Murano IMO, I actually came away from the Murano feeling like it had terrible fit and finish and wouldn't last under my lead foot.

TruckTrend compared and like the Venza more. Edmunds picked the Murano but IMO for the wrong reasons, it was all about 'impressions' in their review, no real science. Plus, I'll never make the mistake of owning a Nissan again, been burned twice in resale and their service is every bit as bad as the big three...

·
Registered
12 Posts
After test riding and comparing the Murano vs the Venza we ended up picking Venza. Actually the Toyota dealer made the difference in price very substantial. My only concern is how good it handles in snow? We live in snow country. Other than that she loves the car.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wife and I went down and test drove Venza again and very much liked it but we ended up buying a 2010 4Runner. We just couldn't rationalize using a Venza where we live, high up in the mountains. I'm sure it would have been fine most of the time but on occasion the 4runner will do stuff it can't. But I do like the Venza, just not for rugged roads we navigate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wife and I went down and test drove Venza again and very much liked it but we ended up buying a 2010 4Runner. We just couldn't rationalize using a Venza where we live, high up in the mountains. I'm sure it would have been fine most of the time but on occasion the 4runner will do stuff it can't. But I do like the Venza, just not for rugged roads we navigate
We live in a similar area that you describe. Green Mountains of VT. 2000' above sea level, 3 miles of dirt roads just to get to pavement. Winter & Mud season's are horrible and her old vehicle was a 05 Dodge 2500 diesel. I'll keep ya posted on how this winter goes. There's plenty of Subaru's around so think she should be alright?

·
543 Posts
Not many Venza's around Mobile, Alabama either. I don't have one, but they look like a great car to me.
I've seen quite a few around Biloxi, MS. Me and my wife are thinking about getting into one of these. If not a Venza, she wants a 4-runner

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I had a rental Murano in Tennessee. IMO it's overpriced for what you get and the interior quality. I was really surprised when I priced out the same vehicle on Nissan's website, and I'm not really a tightwad when it comes to vehicle costs...
Oh please - you're so cheap you squeak when you walk. :eek: You're wallet hasn't been opened since Clinton was in the White House. You're so cheap your cell phone is two can's with string. You're so cheap you once packed yourself in a box and had UPS ship it rather than buy an airplane ticket. You can't fool us pal. :p

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a loaded 2010 Venza for my lovely wife and getting a good < invoice price from the fleet dealer. I'm trading in my wife's FJ Cruiser as she's sick of the clam shell doors and lack of visibility.

However, I'm not seeing any Venza's on the streets in CO. I test drove the AWD 3.5L on a steep hill and found it to be very good in terms of uphill passing power and in cornering. Felt very stable and after more research seems people like them in the snow too.

The interior with leather looks like a lot of bang for the buck, feels more like a Lexus than a Camry and, overall, seems to me to be very well built. I'm not new to Toys, I've had many of the big ones, drive a Tundra now, and see no reason to even look at Nissan or others based on personal experience with Toyota but can anyone shed any light on why Venza's get no attention?

Thanks!
When is tha last time you saw ANY Toyota marketing campaigns for the Venza?

TOyota for some reason isn't geting the message out there...:confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
We have a 2009 AWD 4 cylinder and we like it. Traded in a 06 RAV4 2wd for it. We also looked at used Lexus RX330s/350s and feel we got more bang for the buck. The only thing I wish we would have gotten is the v6. The 4 cylinder is adequate, but the 6 is great. It has a ton of standard features (all 4 windows auto up and down, dual zone climate control, fog lights, 6 disc cd changer with xm, etc) that you have to upgrade or can't get at all on a Highlander or Rav4.

Downfalls are the sloped roof line makes you lose some space in the cargo area. Actually the one thing I dislike most is the hump in the driver's side footwell. There is a bolt that protrudes and makes it uncomfortable to put your foot there.

We are actually looking at trading it on a 2011 Crewmax because I want something a little bigger for trips and our first baby (due in March). We looked at Siennas and Tundras and liked the Crewmax better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We live in a similar area that you describe. Green Mountains of VT. 2000' above sea level, 3 miles of dirt roads just to get to pavement. Winter & Mud season's are horrible and her old vehicle was a 05 Dodge 2500 diesel. I'll keep ya posted on how this winter goes. There's plenty of Subaru's around so think she should be alright?
A little up date on the Venza in winter conditions. I personally don't like it, the wife loves it with exception of the 19" wheels really pack in the snow & dirt. Leaves no room around the wheel wells. Our mechanic is wondering how quick the brakes are gonna last? We should of went with the 4 runner or Tacoma.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
A little up date on the Venza in winter conditions. I personally don't like it, the wife loves it with exception of the 19" wheels really pack in the snow & dirt. Leaves no room around the wheel wells. Our mechanic is wondering how quick the brakes are gonna last? We should of went with the 4 runner or Tacoma.
I bought a 4wd honda crosstour and think its a better vehicle than the Venza. It has 18 inch wheels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts