Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was steelhead fishing this weekend on the Salmon River in ID and yesterday morning we noticed a very loud and annoying banging noise coming from under the truck. We inspected everything (thought it could be a loose skid plate or something) and the only possible clues we found were loose, non bolted or rivited fender liners (wtf toyota??), and the bolt on top of my 5100 drivers side shock (where the noise was coming from) was loose and when you tightened it thre bolt moved with it. The passenger side bolt did the same thing but was snug.

The washer below the nut has about a 1/8in of play and I am guessing it has something to do with holding the shock together internally. It must have blown or something. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Who installed the 5100?'s

You can tighten that nut it holds the shock in place. Could be part of your banging problem. Use a crescent wrench on the top of the stud to hold it while you use a box end wrench to tighten the nut.

Good luck

·
Registered
235 Posts
to hold the shock stud for the top bolt, use a 5mm (? i think) allen key to hold the stud in place while you tighten the 19mm nut. the stud has and allen key recess on the top of it

good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts