Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has used this paint:

VHT FlameProof Coating

I painted my factory resonator up to the cats this weekend. It went on very easy and the finished look is good enough for now. My question is how long will it last?

Any other recommendations on what paint to use?

Thanks,

<TUNDRA>

Attachments

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I used to use it on the header of my dirt bikes. It didn't last very long at all. That being said, a header on a bike gets hit with a lot of debris all the time. Your application might be a little easier??

·
Registered
474 Posts
Get ready to paint it again. It might last longer in that area of the exhaust than as a header paint, but it won't last. Eastwood makes some exhaust paints that are better but they are still only paint. Ceramic coating is the only way to go for a long lasting finish.
I tried various brand header paints on my GTO's exhaust manifolds over the years and finally gave up and had them ceramic coated.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Did you follow the instructions on curing the coating? How much did you pay fer the can and where did you git it at? ;)

Curing FlameProof™

VHT FlameProof™ Coating only attains its unique properties after correct curing (refer to instructions on the can).
On the Vehicle

* Paint must be completely dry before curing
* Run at idle for 10 minutes
* Cool for 20 minutes
* Run at idle for 20 minutes
* Cool for 20 minutes
* Run under normal operating conditions for 30 minutes

Off the Vehicle

* Paint must be completely dry before curing
* Heat to 250°F (121°C) for 30 minutes
* Cool for 30 minutes
* Heat to 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes
* Cool for 30 minutes
* Heat to 650°F (343°C ) for 30 minutes

Caution: Do not exceed the temperature of the least heat tolerant component or the base metal

·
Forum Admin
8,250 Posts
Did you follow the instructions on curing the coating? How much did you pay fer the can and where did you git it at? ;)
Indeed, the curing is important. And since most of the jobs you (and I) used it on won't fit in the kitchen oven (LOL!), you have to do the on-vehicle method.

I used that same paint on my exhaust components too. From the ceramic header flange to the SS muffler and then from the SS muffler to the SS tip. So far, it's been a year, the paint has held up through one blistery cold winter without any flaking whatsoever. There are some surface rust spots, but I rubbed on them with my tire brush and they came off.

FWIW, I used the VHT flat (or semi-gloss?) black and it still looks dull flat. I also ran the curing cycles slightly longer than the spec'd times.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I followed the curing except the 30min interval.

I purchased it at Advance Auto for $3.50ish a can if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the replys guys!!

Tundradrenalin, I hope I have the same luck.

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
How has your luck with this paint been??? Any peeling. I am looking to do this to my exhaust setup to help keep the rust down.

Thanks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How has your luck with this paint been??? Any peeling. I am looking to do this to my exhaust setup to help keep the rust down.

Thanks.
I have had good luck so far. I have not noticed any pealing to speak of and it still looks good.

In all honesty, my Tundra is parked for the winter / salt months so I can't say how it will hold up to it.

<TUNDRA>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts