Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell all,

I've been reading as many threads as I can about front diff noises (02 Tundra) but haven't found anything that addresses my problem. Read on....

-4wd Hi noticeably vibrates (I can start to feel it at about 20mph)
-4wd Lo (after switching to 4LO, I have to accelerate for a few seconds, and it then thumps/Jerks (into 4LO I believe). But once I stop it disengages I think, I have to accelerate again and it repeats the thump.
-So from what I can tell, my front diff is vibrating in 4wd Hi, and 4wd LO is disengaging on it's own when I stop, and thumps more than normal when engaging.

IMPORTANT NOTES::
-I had a rear-gear done about 5k miles ago (went from 3.9s to 4.5s).
-Using Mobile 1 Synthetic Limited Slip 75w-90 in front diff, transfer case, and rear diff (just checked and levels are good).
-I have a 2.5" lift (Bilstein coilovers) with diff drop, and CV boot Clamp Mod.

I am on the verge of bring it into a 4WD shop but would love anybodies input on my problem before I am at their mercy. Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update/Correction:
I just learned that the 4Lo is not disengaging improperly, but it is giving me a HUGE jerk when it shifts gears. So I guess my problem is 4HI vibrates my truck and 4Lo shifts gears is a very "Jerky" way. Any ideas anybody?
Hell all,

I've been reading as many threads as I can about front diff noises (02 Tundra) but haven't found anything that addresses my problem. Read on....

-4wd Hi noticeably vibrates (I can start to feel it at about 20mph)
-4wd Lo (after switching to 4LO, I have to accelerate for a few seconds, and it then thumps/Jerks (into 4LO I believe). But once I stop it disengages I think, I have to accelerate again and it repeats the thump.
-So from what I can tell, my front diff is vibrating in 4wd Hi, and 4wd LO is disengaging on it's own when I stop, and thumps more than normal when engaging.

IMPORTANT NOTES::
-I had a rear-gear done about 5k miles ago (went from 3.9s to 4.5s).
-Using Mobile 1 Synthetic Limited Slip 75w-90 in front diff, transfer case, and rear diff (just checked and levels are good).
-I have a 2.5" lift (Bilstein coilovers) with diff drop, and CV boot Clamp Mod.

I am on the verge of bring it into a 4WD shop but would love anybodies input on my problem before I am at their mercy. Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
My guess would be a loose drive shaft, or a bad universal joint, at least for the bad vibes you are getting at 20mph and above.

Hoki

·
Registered
86 Posts
I may just be dumb but if you had the rear end re-geared wouldnt you also have to gear your front axle to match? when in 4wd the front and rear axles are locked together and need to be turning at the same speed... be sort of like putting on different size tires on the front and rear..

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are correct...Both my front diff and rear diff were re geared. If not, I would have way worse problems I'm sure..
I may just be dumb but if you had the rear end re-geared wouldnt you also have to gear your front axle to match? when in 4wd the front and rear axles are locked together and need to be turning at the same speed... be sort of like putting on different size tires on the front and rear..

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got under the truck again and gave front drive shaft a couple good jerks and could feel a tad bit of movement, very minimal.

Somebody mentioned the vibration in 4WD could be a CV joint problem so I gave those a couple jerks and there was quite a bit of movement. Is that normal? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would guess it to be a universal in the driveshaft. To check but the veegicle in 4wd and in Park with the e-brake on, crawl under and try turning the front drive shaft by hand. You should have a miniscule amount of movement to none.

I would also try re-greasing the front and rear drive shafts to see if that helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got under the truck again and gave front drive shaft a couple good jerks and could feel a tad bit of movement, very minimal.

Somebody mentioned the vibration in 4WD could be a CV joint problem so I gave those a couple jerks and there was quite a bit of movement. Is that normal? Thanks.

I'm not sure about the way the fron axle and 4wd is set up (I'm more of a 1st Gen pickup guy) But try putting your truck in 4wd (to lock the front axles to the transfer case) and then check the CV joints again to see if there is too much free play.

Also when the re-geared your truck they may have seperated your drive shaft and then not indexed them when they put togeather. I know on my 1990 toyota that all the zerk fittings should be inline with each other when the drive shaft is but back togeather.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just greased all the zerks. Glad I did but still didn't help my 4wd vibration problem. I am leaning toward it being a drive shaft or U-Joint issue though, as a few members have pointed towards. Now I will try the test mentioned above to see if I have to much play.

Is it possible that the oil in the front diff or transfer case is causing the prob? I am Using Mobile 1 Synthetic Limited Slip 75w-90 in front diff, transfer case, and rear diff. Is it wrong to use the Mobile 1 LS in the front?

·
Registered
33 Posts
No the Mobil 1 LS wil not effect the front diff or transfer case, thats what I have in mine.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, check that off my list.

I just did the "4wd in park + E-brake" test any everything is very snug. Maybe I need to add grease to my CV boots. Think that has anything to do with my vibrations?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Only the rear is LSD from what i recall. I would use the factory recommended stuff for the front and transfer case. Hopefully that will take care of it. Why not try it since its would be a relatively cheap trial.

Well I just greased all the zerks. Glad I did but still didn't help my 4wd vibration problem. I am leaning toward it being a drive shaft or U-Joint issue though, as a few members have pointed towards. Now I will try the test mentioned above to see if I have to much play.

Is it possible that the oil in the front diff or transfer case is causing the prob? I am Using Mobile 1 Synthetic Limited Slip 75w-90 in front diff, transfer case, and rear diff. Is it wrong to use the Mobile 1 LS in the front?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since you mentioned you had it re-geared and the driveshaft, universals and CV's seem tight could the shop you had do the gears not aligned/shimmed/torqued the new gears and axles correctly?

I think I would bring it back to the shop that did the gears and have them check it out. If the problem is with the new gears they must have some kind of guarentee to cover it. If the problem is a bad univeral or CV or something like that they should be able to figure it out pretty quick.

Did you check to make sure the drive shaft was indexed correctly? All the zerk fittings should be inline with each other when the drive shaft is but back togeather.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I guess bringing it back to the mechanic is probably the next step. It was last fall I had the re-gear done, I just hadn't really used the 4wd till this spring, or when I did it was a bumpy/offroad trail and couldn't notice the vibrations. I will give the shop a call.

As far as the alignment of the zerks, do you just mean on the front drive shaft. Or do you mean lined of with the rear drive shaft also? Thanks again.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I suspect the Royal Purple oil that you put into the differential. The standard Royal Purple requires an additive that allows the clutches in the limited slip to function properly. Did you add the additive to the royal Purple?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am using Mobile 1 Synthetic Limited Slip 75w-90 in front diff, transfer case, and rear diff. It's GL-5.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts