Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title states, when I go from 4WD to 2WD I get a vibration that increases with speed, it sounds like it's coming from the front. Once I accelerate past 45 MPH or so, the noise goes away completely and does not come back again until I put the truck into 4x4, and take it back out.

Odd.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like the prop shaft is still engaged. You might need to exercise your 4x4 system a bit more to keep things lubricated and in good working order. Also make sure that the drive line is being greased at the u joints properly.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would make sense, but the noise does not happen when in 4x4, only in 2wd after being in 4x4

·
Registered
9 Posts
That would make sense, but the noise does not happen when in 4x4, only in 2wd after being in 4x4
I would venture a guess that would be because the propshaft is not under any tension and is just "free wheeling" I've had other trucks (Chevy, Ford, and Dodge) that have that noise for a bit until the front axle disengages. Yours is just taking a little bit to disengage. Sometimes accelerating and letting off quickly will expedite the front axle to disengage. But I wouldn't worry about it. Excercise it and it should get better. The owners manual actually calls for it to be excercised.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know, thanks. I swapped all my fluids to Redline 75W90 and have cycled it a few times around town. It does seem to go away after a hard acceleration. I'll keep doing that.

I have some front diff noise too that is different, I get a cyclical humming when its cold outside, like 50 and below. Gets worse with speed and goes away once everything is hot. This sounds a little different than the noise I experience after disengaging 4x4. I have a diff drop in-hand and a bushing replacement for the driver's side axle on order, from what I have read this noise is likely due to slop in the factory needle bearings. I'll update this thread once I get those and install them both.

For what it is worth, NEITHER noise was present before I did the OME lift, which equated to about 2" above stock in the front when I added the ARB bumper/etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts