Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually its more like around 65-75, sometimes 80 where I feel vibrations in the car, but more like in the floor board/base of the vehicle instead. Sometimes I can feel it in the steering too. Is it an alignment issue? The threads on the tire are fine, they were replaced last year; I have Bilstein suspension with the 5100 coilovers in the front (had them installed in 05). This is not something recent, its always been like this but I figured I'd ask around since I'm rarely on the forum now.

Also, what are some symptoms of a failing suspension? I never really did notice a difference with the Bilsteins and stock so I assumed it was performing the same. Not that its operating any different now, I just wish the suv would absorb the impact a little better providing a smoother ride instead of an "earthquake" like experience when going over potholes etc.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm not sure if I have the same vibration you do, but if I don't rotate my tires every 3k miles I get a good vibration at that speed. With the coilover on mine cranked so high, it must have something to do with it. I've contemplated trying the Camburg UCA's to see if I can get the alignment dialed in a little better, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I also know what you mean about the "earthquake" feeling when hitting a pothole. These trucks come with really soft suspension, and I'm not thrilled with the way my coilovers handle the potholes. I've had to rent or drive other vehicles for work, and I've noticed just how tight and firm other vehicles are...then I get in my Sequoia with fairly new shocks, coilovers, rear springs and it's noticeably more soft..and not in a good way. I wish I would have went with the heavier duty Camburg or King coilovers, or maybe even a second shock up front to help absorb the bad roads. I'm just not sure what to do either...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
One thing you want to check is your alignment. I had mine done two times before I had it done right. Make sure your shop is using a Hunter Alignment console for the best results. Per DJ's specs, you want your alignment to be as close to this as possible:
Caster: +2.5 to 2.75 max
Camber: +.25
Toe: +0.04 on each side or +0.08 Total Toe

Also make sure to rotate your tires often as these are heavy trucks with soft suspension and if your alignment isn't close to this you will get some cupping on the outside edge of your tire. With the front suspension cranked up with a coilover or spacer, you may want to consider a Camburg or Total Chaos UCA to get the caster closer to spec. My guess is that you will get the caster close to 1.9 or 2.0. Some shaking could also be from a bad wheel balance too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have you had your tires balanced? On a vehicle with as numb suspension as the Sequoias, it takes a lot to feel vibration.

I've been fighting a shimmy/tramp in one of my cars and was about to condemn the tires before I figured out one of our balancers was whack. If the tires are balanced, consider the possibility that either you have a defective tire or wheel (bent wheel), or you've got worn parts somewhere in the suspension. Check the ball joints for looseness. A loose tie-rod would result in a shimmy, not so much a vibration through the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe it's because your going 75 or 80 mph.

These are trucks and are made to haul loads, tow trailer, go offroad... It shouldn't handle like a car.

Drive the speed limit and I bet it rides alot better, and you'll also get better mpg's.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
parrot, you might be right. the other day i took my car in for an oil change and had them balance & rotate the tires, hoping that would help it...nope. i spoke to a friend that said the same thing about it being the driveshaft possibly. hopefully the dealership doesn't horse around by making me pay for things i dont need to have done to my car and just get to the main cause of the problem.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any idea how much a drive shaft balancing would cost at the dealership?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so I took my car to the dealership yesterday and they said and I quote "left rear tire have high road force phase match did not bring in specs". They reccomended I see if I can speak to the tire company if I can get a return or exchange. I asked them about the drive shaft and they said it was fine, but I'm thinking they didn't even check it. I am going to get a second opinion soon hopefully from one of the tire shops around here that specializes in suspension as well (they also installed my tires when I bought them).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts