Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD , front drive shaft spins in 2 wheel drive causing a vibration every 3 seconds when driving it. It stops vibrating at about 55 mph. I put duct tape around shaft to the bottom of the trany to stop the annoying vibration. Could it be that the fork that engages the 4x4 be bent?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No it didn't fix the bent fork if it has a bent fork hahahahahahhahahahah, Duct tape stopped the front drive shaft from spinning. I was told that the number 1 fork may be bent causing the clutch synchronizer sleeve not to be lifted up far enough to disengage completely, causing it to drag and therefore cause the front shaft to spin. I would think the fork would break before it would bend. Just guessing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to say, that I took out the front drive shaft and tied a string to the shafts ends that the driveshaft bolts to and the one on the front diff. did not turn. The shaft end on the transfer case did. I was told that the front drive shaft was not supposed to turn when not in 4x4. So I put the truck on 4 jack stands, started it up, put it in gear and the front drive spun like crazy and I could hear and feel the vibration every 3 seconds. I changed to gear oil to Royal Purple synthetic and it seemed to make it worse, so I'm going to change it back to original gear oil. If its warm enough tomorrow I'll change it and post what happens. Thanks guy, I really appreciate the information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fixed the vibration. Google " Toyota 7.5" Clamshell Bushing" to see what I did. A page will come up with 2 vids. One showing what Toyota did because of GREED and the other to show how to fix it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I fixed the vibration. Google " Toyota 7.5" Clamshell Bushing" to see what I did. A page will come up with 2 vids. One showing what Toyota did because of GREED and the other to show how to fix it.
Good to know you solved it by your self. Sometimes we need to learn by our self and share what we learned to others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts