Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and did not see the specific info I am looking for.

I have a 96 4Runner Limited, bought used (135K miles). It has the VIP RS3000 system installed. The historical documents that came with the car included a orange card that looks to me like a factory build ticket. It lists the options added to the car and has intials next to each option. The RS3000 is the first option opn the list. I don't know if that means dealer installed or factory or some intermediate processor installed it.

Anyway,

I see conflicting info on the web regarding which remotes will work with my year/model. Does anyone have the straight scoop on how to select another remote that will work with my unit?

Does the FCC ID certify freq and signal type or only freq and strength?

I can see that year over year there could be changes to ECU signal processing and signal sophistication that would prevent interchange between years even though freq never changed.

I see several remotes on eBay that claim FCC numbers that match mine, but they say their unit will only work on 98 and newer units. Some say only black units will work, others say if the FCC ID matches it will work.

What is the real story?

Thanks for any info.

blueman2

PS I have the manual for my RS3000 so if anyone needs info sing out.

PPS if anyone knows where the RS3000 ECU is on a 96 4Runner Limited I would be interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally got answers to both my questions. I bought a grey remote that would not work with my 96 4Runner. Same FCC id and Canada number on the back as the black remote that came with the car.

RS3000 control unit was located under driver's seat. Acquired another black remotew that prgrammed and worked like a charm.

Blueman2

1 - 2 of 2 Posts