Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 08 Tundra SR5 Dbl cab with 6.5 bed and 5.7 eng with tow package. Tow cap of 10,300 lbs. Bought it to pull a 5th wheel trailer. I was told that as soon as you put a 5th wheel in the bed you have voided the warranty. I have a full warranty, the truck only has 8,000 miles. Will it void my warranty?

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Welcome to the site!!

I am not completely sure on the warranty......Give it a few minutes and other members will chime in!!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
What part of your warranty exactly? Where did you get this information? I know if you get a lift, you void your suspension warranty, which makes sense. I've sure that there are 5th wheel trailers that are within the payload capacities of the Tundra, so they can't make a blanket statement that the 5th wheel is too much trailer or too much tongue weight for the Tundra.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
That makes no sense...you buy a truck capable of towing yet your warranty is voided if you tow. I cant see how that would void your warranty as long as you are towing within in your limits.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
and its warranty not warrantee

·
Registered
588 Posts
My guess it was a 3/4 ton truck owner who told him that.

Someone will be on soon to set it straight. It is called the (i believe, check spelling)
Magnusen act(?) that protects us when we do additions/modifications to our trucks.

Mfgs. have to prove the Mod has caused the failure. Sometimes you would have to go through a hoop or to to get covered. But warranty void is bogus.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
It will absolutely NOT void the warranty...any part of it. I hope you have another dealer to utilize nearby. Go to another dealer and get another opinion...you may even try to get a hold of your regional rep or Toyota customer service and report this dealer or the person who gave you this wrong information. Many others on Tundra Solutions have actually had their 5th wheel hitches installed by their dealers. Did a salesman tell you this? Ask the service Dept.

In fact, and yes, I just double checked myself, look in your owner's manual or check out the iguide CD you should have received...they both specifically mention 5th wheel towing in the towing section.
Whoever told you this information is a complete fool. Damn I hate misinformation.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Just bought a 08 Tundra SR5 Dbl cab with 6.5 bed and 5.7 eng with tow package. Tow cap of 10,300 lbs. Bought it to pull a 5th wheel trailer. I was told that as soon as you put a 5th wheel in the bed you have voided the warrantee. I have a full warrantee, the truck only has 8,000 miles. Will it void my warrantee?
I have the same truck as you with a under bed gooseneck hitch installed since new. Lost a camshaft at 3k miles, and the dealer questioned nothing. I've had a couple dash rattles fixed by the dealer, and then again they didn't question one thing. Oh, and my dad and my brother both have the same truck and hitch. No questions about their hitch either.

Oh, camshaft thing went well. Toyota gave 7/100k platinum warranty for free, free rental, $150 gift card, one months lease payment, and a brand new complete longblock.

To answer your question; no i don't beleive you'll ever have an issue with the dealer on warranty issues because you have a fifth wheel hitch.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
If you grossly overload your truck, and they can demonstrate that (for example, bent springs) they may void warranty on suspension parts. Given that it's rated for CGVW of 15,000 + lbs, the powertrain warranty will be a challenge to void no matter how hard they try.
P.S. if you need to haul beyond capacity, air bags will limit the spring sag. 1,200 pin weight on the sticker easily translates to 1,800 lbs with hitch, loaded trailer, etc. THAT could conceivably void certain parts of your warranty.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Was just reading over at RV.net...it seems it was the RV dealership that told them this.:doh:

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Was just reading over at RV.net...it seems it was the RV dealership that told them this.:doh:
The RV dealership has a deal with the GMC dealership across the road, designed to sell a lot of 2500 / 3500 series trucks ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just spoke to the Toyota dealer. He said there is no warranty problem when installing a fifth wheel in the Tundra. :) I feel much better!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I was told that as soon as you put a 5th wheel in the bed you have voided the warranty. I have a full warranty, the truck only has 8,000 miles. Will it void my warranty?
A warranty is a legal contract and it cannot be voided. If something fails it is up to the manufacturer or dealer to prove that your modification caused the failure.

·
DIRT BAG
1,404 Posts
thought I would chime in on the waranty deal.... the magnuson-moss warranty act of 1975 was enacted to protect consumers from fraudulent warranty claims or prevent MFG from voiding entire warrantees.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My tundra has a GVWR of 7100 lbs. The truck weighs 6045 with full fuel, my wife and I in it. If I am figureing this right, I then can pull a fifth wheel that does not have a PIN Wt. of over 955 lbs. Figureing PIN Wt. as 18% of trailer weight, then I must find a Fifth Wheeler weighing less than 5306 lbs. Am I correct?

·
Registered
231 Posts
yeah, that sounded fishy from the get-go. "Uh, if you use yer truck like a truck---you gots no warrannteee."
Enjoy your Tundra brother; you have selected one of the best trucks out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts