Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a Volant CAI (18857) on my '08 Tundra 5.7 today. Couple of points (and let me know if I am being a little too anal). First off, the install took approx 1 hour, and the only reason being is I double and triple checked the MAF orientation, and all fasteners. Also..I noticed the new box does not completely cover the hole in the fender for fresh air intake. (Just a slight difference). And finally, the set screw for the plastic engine lid is just a little too long. (Minor oversight by the engineers @ Volant). To me, attention to detail goes a long way. Will test the power tonight on the way to work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't mind take some pics, and maybe some to show us what you are talking about with the details oversight. I'm thinking about getting one of these in the near future.
I'll do my best. Lost the cable used to connect my digital camera to the computer.:dry:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Installed a Volant CAI (18857) on my '08 Tundra 5.7 today. Couple of points (and let me know if I am being a little too anal). First off, the install took approx 1 hour, and the only reason being is I double and triple checked the MAF orientation, and all fasteners. Also..I noticed the new box does not completely cover the hole in the fender for fresh air intake. (Just a slight difference). And finally, the set screw for the plastic engine lid is just a little too long. (Minor oversight by the engineers @ Volant). To me, attention to detail goes a long way. Will test the power tonight on the way to work.
Everything is as you said. With the Volant CAI, it will require you to have your engine cover raised a bit. Also, the CAI does not fully cover the hole. I used the detachable OEM part that connects directly from that whole and left it in there. This helps push the air directly into the filter and covers the hole completely. I got that tip from someone here in TS. :tu:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I have an AFE on my 05. You should read the attached. Second paragraph after video explains that its necessary to have a gap since the new intake needs to pull in more air than stock inlet can provide. They are talking about AFE here but I would guess similar reasoning for Volant as well. An intersting read to say the least.
aFe Air Intake Toyota Tundra Review with Video Sound Clips | Tundra Headquarters

1 - 5 of 5 Posts