Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the Volant CAI on my truck since they came out. Now, I am having issues with the truck running real lean, dying, and not being able to go over 11 mph. This is the second time in a month to have it towed to the stealership. The last time they said it was a faulty MAF. Didn't have time to argue so I said fix it. Now they are telling me they have checked and cannot find any vacuum leaks, so it must either be clogged fuel injectors or the CAI letting too much air in and the computer cannot compensate.

Ideas? I am pretty sure it aint the CAI because I have had it on there since Volant started shipping them a couple of years ago. But, the service guy says its cause the truck is older now (BS). I told him to go ahead and clean the injectors. But he wants to put the old intake on. Well, I don't have it anymore and I don;t necessarily wanna drop a hunk of change on the factory setup again from them..

Give a brutha some input.

I kept getting CEL and they say it is running lean.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Well, lets think about this... it's not like the volant is pushing more air in all of the sudden and the ECU isn't going to "not be able compensate" all of the sudden. Dealerships are full of Shi*. If I had to guess its got to be the MAF sensor. Did they change it already? There are a lot of really smart guys on this forum so hopefully they will chime in soon. Good luck.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
thats interesting i have already put 5000 miles on my volant no issues here....its gotta be the maf sensor....try URD maf sensor its relatively inexpensive and is supposed to change the ratio anyway...check it out...dont waste your time buying new OEM maf sensor from toyota more than once.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They put a new MAF on a couple of weeks ago. The Volant has been on for 50k miles. I asked them if the TRD flowed more air than the stock one and he said I don't know the specifics, but it was designed by Toyota for the Tundra. Oh, I am speaking with the supposed service manager. Just a bunch of morons. He said he has their senior techs looking at it.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
They put a new MAF on a couple of weeks ago. The Volant has been on for 50k miles. I asked them if the TRD flowed more air than the stock one and he said I don't know the specifics, but it was designed by Toyota for the Tundra. Oh, I am speaking with the supposed service manager. Just a bunch of morons. He said he has their senior techs looking at it.
ya man sounds like he took a 2 week powerpoint training to be a service manager at toyota lol...there is something they are not fixing. the volant/trd/airraid/k&N whatever the CAI may be will not put that much more air that the sensor would cause it to malfunction. TRD is made for the truck yes but it puts more air than stock without changing maf so i dont think that volant is the case since...since its also a dry filter.....take it somewhere else....oh and lastly you know they try all these CAI on all trucks cars and so on to make sure the flow is compatible so just to add that which you probably already knew..

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had the same thing happen on a 09 tundra with a [email protected] CAI. And it was the maf sensor. Had to buy a new one. I was good after that. Now you said you change your already but dont thing the one you have isn't bad. The guy's I deal with said some of those things MAF sensors are fragile and sensitive it doesn't take much to mess them up even the oil from you hands if they touched it putting it in.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Don't waste your time, the service manager and service writers are a bunch of morons. It's easy to tell who knows by the color of their shirt. If it's dirty, then they probably have some brains.

What does MAF stand for? Mass Air Flow! It senses the amount of air the engine is pulling in, then the ECU will adjust the mixture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts