Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 with 185k on it. A couple days ago the truck wouldn't start. All I hear is a click from the starter solenoid. Tried jump starting without any success. Decided to buy a new 24F battery and the truck fired right up without any issue. After a day of driving, the voltage meter is bouncing all over the place. At a stop light, the needle is a quarter under the half mark and feels like the engine is going to stall. Once I give it gas, the needle moves back up just pass middle mark. While driving, the needle is back to normal. The battery clamps are clean and no corrosion. Could it be the alternator going bad?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't do a lot of load testing but here are my results.

Engine off cold-14.14
Engine warmed up-high 13
Truck in park-high 13
Truck in drive-drop down to 12.6
Truck in reverse-drop down to 12.3
Engine off after warm up- high 12

·
Forum Admin
8,252 Posts
Those numbers are off. Drive numbers should be higher than Off numbers.

Alternator rebuild could be the solution. I bet there are shops near you for that work. Will cost a fraction of what a new alt costs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those numbers are off. Drive numbers should be higher than Off numbers.

Alternator rebuild could be the solution. I bet there are shops near you for that work. Will cost a fraction of what a new alt costs.
It's at the shop right now. The bill for OEM alternator from Toyota and labor is $700. Aftermarket alternator and labor is $600. Went with OEM for a piece of mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got the truck back...after the alternator installed, the voltage gauge needle is around the middle. I'm getting a reading around 13.4-13.6 in park, drive and reverse. Is that more where its supposed to be at?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts