Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Tundra. 5.7 with 146k on the odometer.

Have a weird issue I cannot seem to get resolved. Mostly on cold start days, on takeoff from overnight parking every time I press the gas pedal the VSC light starts blinking. Sometimes it goes away by itself but typically have to take the foot off the pedal in order for the light to clear and for engine power to return. Get back on the pedal and it happens again...

Driving in a straight line, no cornering. Sometimes the VSC cuts power to engine, other times it doesn't.

I have already replaced all four wheel speed sensors and have confirmed they're putting out correct and matching data. Did the zero point calibration several times. Ran an ABS scan and cleared a U0416 DTC that has not returned in several weeks. I also pulled the POs suspension components and removed the front leveling spacers and replaced all four shocks (had the parts so...).

Anyone have any clues as to what could be causing this? Could this be abs brake related since I did a brake bleed manually before knowing the only way to bleed these trucks is with techstream? Is that even true?

·
Registered
'20 Platinum
47 Posts
I'm not expert but...what kind of tires do you have? I had a '15 Tundie with some M/Ts and if I pressed the accelerator to hard it would sense my tires lost traction and decelerate so traction would be gained again. Your tires might be hard in the cold and doing the same thing. I got rid of the M/Ts and got some decent A/Ts and never had the problem again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I'm experiencing wheel spin. The tires aren't aggressive and some of these VSC faults are happening when the car is rolling.

Called the mechanic and told them about what I've already done and they told me they're fresh out of ideas. I don't know. Maybe I'll try the brake bleed with the diagnostic tools to bleed the ABS using the pump. After that it's check the wiring again or look at the rear wheel bearings...I got the truck 11k miles ago, who knows what's been towed. Going to be an expensive repair.

Cmon guys! The site is called Solutions! Let's get them brains hoopajoopin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think I'm experiencing wheel spin. The tires aren't aggressive and some of these VSC faults are happening when the car is rolling.

Called the mechanic and told them about what I've already done and they told me they're fresh out of ideas. I don't know. Maybe I'll try the brake bleed with the diagnostic tools to bleed the ABS using the pump. After that it's check the wiring again or look at the rear wheel bearings...I got the truck 11k miles ago, who knows what's been towed. Going to be an expensive repair.

Cmon guys! The site is called Solutions! Let's get them brains hoopajoopin.
Own a 2008 tundra limited crewmax 5.7l 4wd. Original 69700k miles. Just finished replacing both 2ndary air pumps in wheel well and the dual valve sensor that lives behind the main air intake plenum and firewall. So far what I've learned is that toyota is not a exact science. Nothing is that cut and dry. As far as answer's go lolol or a quick 123 fix nit gonna happen.
Today 1-11-2022. Maybe there's a better forum or atleast update this one. Yota for life!!!🇺🇲👊

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not expert but...what kind of tires do you have? I had a '15 Tundie with some M/Ts and if I pressed the accelerator to hard it would sense my tires lost traction and decelerate so traction would be gained again. Your tires might be hard in the cold and doing the same thing. I got rid of the M/Ts and got some decent A/Ts and never had the problem again.
As for the vsc and wheels/tires ..some tires are softer than others and the tire will flex but not move. Check your air pressure and or the tires may be too aggressive for regular roads

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Own a 2008 tundra limited crewmax 5.7l 4wd. Original 69700k miles. Just finished replacing both 2ndary air pumps in wheel well and the dual valve sensor that lives behind the main air intake plenum and firewall. So far what I've learned is that toyota is not a exact science. Nothing is that cut and dry. As far as answer's go lolol or a quick 123 fix nit gonna happen.
Today 1-11-2022. Maybe there's a better forum or atleast update this one. Yota for life!!!🇺🇲👊
I'm confused. Were the air pumps related to VSC faults? I'll tell you that my first gen taco had some issues and they were 123 fixes. It's when you get the nanny systems and complex series integration that you get problems. If there really are no cogent troubleshooting techniques for Toyota stability control, I'll be looking at a '98 Dodge 2500HD and leaving the Yota life.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm confused. Were the air pumps related to VSC faults? I'll tell you that my first gen taco had some issues and they were 123 fixes. It's when you get the nanny systems and complex series integration that you get problems. If there really are no cogent troubleshooting techniques for Toyota stability control, I'll be looking at a '98 Dodge 2500HD and leaving the Yota life.
HaHa, going to Dodge is going to solve your problem???? 😂 Too funny!
First off, you mention that this only happens occasionally and only on first start up when cold. Are you saying this does not happen when the truck is warmed up or the ambient temps are warm?
You mentioned you replaced the sensors. Did you replace with genuine Toyota parts?
Did you check/clean the reluctor rings?
How about verifying that the module that controls the abs system?

Tye

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HaHa, going to Dodge is going to solve your problem???? 😂 Too funny!
First off, you mention that this only happens occasionally and only on first start up when cold. Are you saying this does not happen when the truck is warmed up or the ambient temps are warm?
You mentioned you replaced the sensors. Did you replace with genuine Toyota parts?
Did you check/clean the reluctor rings?
How about verifying that the module that controls the abs system?

Tye
It happens more often after taking off form overnight parking. It does happen during normal driving conditions as well. Not taking corners, accelerating in a straight line.
On long drives it does get better or at least less a lot less frequent. The sensors are not OEM. I've used the scan tool to monitor live data and all four sensors are reading equivalent and accurate values. Did not check the rings because I figure I'm getting accurate live data and no dropoffs. I've done the zero point calibration 2-3 times in the hopes that would work and it was the yaw sensor that was jacked from the POs leveling kit, which ironically raised the front higher than the rear and has since then been removed.

The last time the problem felt like it went away was after driving in a snowstorm where the ABS and the VSC got a bit of actual workout in the snow. I think I had four or five days with no VSC light going on after that. I'm hoping...nay praying...that the issue is air bubbles in the brake lines trapped in the ABS block and pump that don't get flushed when you're doing the traditional 1-2-3 pump hold brake bleed method. My brakes feel good, not spungy. But every once in a while the brake pedal feedback is a momentary grinding sensation like the kind you get from dragging the brakes against crusty rotors after not driving for a while.

Oh and the Dodge might solve my problem. A lot less wiring and computer oversight on the 5.9 12valve AND you get a 4 door with a 5 speed. That said, 2500HDs with 300k on the odometer are going for more than Tundras with 120k on them so that pipe dream might just remain unrealized for a bit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The grinding sensation you feel is most likely the abs system pulsating the brakes (that is what they do). I would highly recommend doing the brake bleed procedure using the ABS pump (should have 2 people).
Although not on a Toyota, I was dealing with an ABS/traction control/TPMS issue on my BMW (TPMS system uses wheel rotation).
After lots of troubleshooting, I would up sending the ABS hydraulic/electronic module to Module Masters for a refurb (even though the car has only 40,000 kilometers).
Reinstalled the refurbished unit, recalibrated everything and VOILA, brake system works as intended now and no more dash lights.
May be worth a look into????

Tye

Reactions: Redacted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The grinding sensation you feel is most likely the abs system pulsating the brakes (that is what they do). I would highly recommend doing the brake bleed procedure using the ABS pump (should have 2 people).
Although not on a Toyota, I was dealing with an ABS/traction control/TPMS issue on my BMW (TPMS system uses wheel rotation).
After lots of troubleshooting, I would up sending the ABS hydraulic/electronic module to Module Masters for a refurb (even though the car has only 40,000 kilometers).
Reinstalled the refurbished unit, recalibrated everything and VOILA, brake system works as intended now and no more dash lights.
May be worth a look into????

Tye
In reference to the ABS bleed, I actually just received one of the Launch OBD tools yesterday. Have the ABS bleed planned for this weekend. Intent is to use the vacuum tool to bleed normally, and then use the ABS purge function on the tool to open the valves and push the fluid using the pump. We're on the same page. Hopefully that's it.

Regarding the Beemer. I had a 2011 GTI with a vanity mirror light that would work only when I pressed on the headliner. Troubleshooting it was a pain since the light had three momentary switches that all had to make in order for the light to go on. Who in the world would do that? Ze Germans of course. That's kind of how I feel about this VSC nonsense. 5 speed sensors on board? ABS pump communication? The module itself. Tone rings? A goddamn yaw sensor to tell the truck if it's flipped? Cmon guys. Where's your sense of adventure? I'm not even old and I want to tear all of it out and settle for a pair of 50lb bags of sand in the bed. It's a truck, it's supposed to wag it's tail in the slush.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts