Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere. I searched thru the forum and saw no resolution that may help me or anyone else with my issue, so here goes. I have the URD CAI with the computer. It works great I love it; no issues for several years. I recently bought an aftermarket grille. I love it; it works and looks great. However...

Apparently, the combination of a URD CAI and an aftermarket grille allows too much air into the MAF sensor which throws the flashing CEL and VSC OFF lights. I tried several suggestions by friends and such, but nothing was seeming to work. The CEL code that was coming up was something about the MAF sensor; I had Autozone reset it, but it randomly came back on shortly thereafter. Well, I happened to get some new tires and had the Firestone guys see if they could figure out how to reset it (at least). When I got the truck back, the CEL was no longer on but the VSC OFF lights stayed on (and continued to not work). I checked the URD website and found that their CAIs don't play nice with aftermarket grilles and if you do install a new grille, they recommend a filter-shield to block the extra air. So I bought a cheap one off ebay and it appears to have done the trick as I have not gotten a CEL since (its been several months now) BUT the darn VSC still does not work and the VSC lights are still on!

For off-road or thick snow, I hate the VSC, its annoying, however, I live in a snowy Metro area and after a couple years of having a truck with VSC, I now kinda miss it if I run into an unexpected slick patch while in 2.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know how to reset the VSC OFF lights? They are on solid from the minute I start it up and there is no Check Engine Light. I'd hate to have to go to the stealership to get over-charged for something like unplugging a relay and plugging it back in or something like that. (I hope its that easy)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Did the Firestone guys hook up anything to clear the CEL? I'm wondering if they messed up the zero point calibration of VSC. VSC Off light remains on when there's a malfunction or when it's in fail-safe control mode. Ignore the lift issue in this link, but read through the attached page to the FSM dealing with the VSC.

Lift with VSC answer..... - Tacoma World Forums

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere. I searched thru the forum and saw no resolution that may help me or anyone else with my issue, so here goes. I have the URD CAI with the computer. It works great I love it; no issues for several years. I recently bought an aftermarket grille. I love it; it works and looks great. However...

Apparently, the combination of a URD CAI and an aftermarket grille allows too much air into the MAF sensor which throws the flashing CEL and VSC OFF lights. I tried several suggestions by friends and such, but nothing was seeming to work. The CEL code that was coming up was something about the MAF sensor; I had Autozone reset it, but it randomly came back on shortly thereafter. Well, I happened to get some new tires and had the Firestone guys see if they could figure out how to reset it (at least). When I got the truck back, the CEL was no longer on but the VSC OFF lights stayed on (and continued to not work). I checked the URD website and found that their CAIs don't play nice with aftermarket grilles and if you do install a new grille, they recommend a filter-shield to block the extra air. So I bought a cheap one off ebay and it appears to have done the trick as I have not gotten a CEL since (its been several months now) BUT the darn VSC still does not work and the VSC lights are still on!

·
Registered
3 Posts

For off-road or thick snow, I hate the VSC, its annoying, however, I live in a snowy Metro area and after a couple years of having a truck with VSC, I now kinda miss it if I run into an unexpected slick patch while in 2.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know how to reset the VSC OFF lights? They are on solid from the minute I start it up and there is no Check Engine Light. I'd hate to have to go to the stealership to get over-charged for something like unplugging a relay and plugging it back in or something like that. (I hope its that easy)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After almost 3 years with no VSC, I found this video that has finally fixed my issue! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvtwFVT1Q10. The instructions are very simple:

1. Park your truck on a level surface and make sure the steering wheel is in the middle
2. Bend a paperclip to look like a big staple
3. Go to your OBD port under the steering wheel
4. Find #12 and 14 pins (I just use the pins that were in the middle of the OBD, the two that were on the inside-end of where there are wires in the connector)
5. Insert the paperclip to jump the wires
6. Turn the ignition to the on position until the VSC is quick flashing (about 15 seconds)
7. Turn off the ignition and remove the paperclip
8. Test by fully starting the car and drive it around if you wish. It should be all fixed!

I hope this helps someone else some day.

-John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts