Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our 2001 Sequoia brakes worked on right before we went on a long road trip. The mechanic must have spilled some brake fluid. We got VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, and BRAKE indications in the cockpit. Then we started have sudden power dumps while at highway speed. Thought we had a really bad problem, even rented a minivan for a day because we were afraid to drive it, and we had to get somewhere. I read somewhere that the brake fluid level could be causing this problem. I checked and it was just below the low line. My wife added some fluid, to get it up to the full line, and all of the problems went away. It even cleared a P0420 code, which may have been caused by the computer driven speed governor power dumps.

About a year ago we had similar indications, but then we also had an ABS light. That problem was a bad O2 sensor, which went away when we replaced the two upstream O2 sensors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got the same first two indicators but not the Brake light. My check engine light came on instead. This happened while on my to way to work this morning. I'll check the brake fluid to see if that may be the issue. I did not notice any performance issues but I have to get this resolved because I have to take it through emmissions before the end of this month.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The VSC and TRAC lights come on with any of the others, either Brake, ABS or Check Engine, they are just disabled by the computer if there is an issue with one of the other systems. Have the CEL code pulled, likely a O2 sensor if you haven't replaced them recently.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Having the same problem. I replace the passenger upstream O2 but it looks like I will have to also do the Drivers side one now because the light is still on. Do you rememeber what code you got? I'm showing P0057.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and Check Engine. My wife called me on her way home and told me that it had no power. She's right! If you give it a lot of fuel, it just sounds like it wants to go, but it doesn't translate into power in the rear end. I took it to Auto Zone and it showed codes P1441 and P1444.
Says I may have: A) faulty vacuum switching valve (VSV) for Air Injection control circuit, B)Faulty Air switching valve number 2, or C)Faulty VSV for Air injection system.
It says 2 bank 1 stuck open, and 2 bank 2 stuck open. I looked at my Haynes manual for the banks, and have considered replacing those sensors on the passengers side. I'll definitely check the brake fluid as well. If anyone else had this same stuff happen, please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good news. I took the cables off the battery for two days, removed the gas cap, screwed it back in, and the problem is gone. Codes cleared themselves, and the power is back to normal. Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, it came back on, I traded her out my FJ for her sequoia, unplugged the battery, unscrewed the gas cap, swapped out the kids boosters, put gas cap back on, put batt. cables back on, and it's running like a champ. I am confused.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
21 Posts
For me- I had the same issues. 2001 4wd.. On direction from another forum, I simply cleaned the throttle body and the issue went away, no more VSC/TRAC light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I happened to take my '04 in for water pump/tranny/timing belt svc at 90k miles and the vsc/trac/CEL lite popped the next morning...hmm...took it back and they said $1200 for new ABS brain. I did what we do to the flight control computers on airplanes...pulled the wiring harness off for a minute, plugged it back in, and VSC/TRAC lites gone (stealership reset CEL during their 'exhaustive' troubleshooting).

Popped the lites again a couple years later- performed same 'reset' and all good to go.

·
Registered
193 Posts
For many engine/ ECU codes, the computer enters a default control program as a safety precaution. This turns off the VSC system because there is a chance the ecu is bad. Therefore the vsc trac lights being on may be a result any of a number of reasons. There is no way to know until the obd2 codes or vsc codes or abs codes are scanned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SIMPLE FIX FOR ME! I had BRAKE on all the time and VSC OFF / VSC TRAC coming on after a few seconds and staying on all the time. All I needed to do was add Brake Fluid. The fluid was at the MIN mark and not below which surprised me...certainly not below MIN. I filled up to just below MAX and the lights didn't come back on. The ENGINE MIL light was not coming on.

·
Registered
218 Posts
SIMPLE FIX FOR ME! I had BRAKE on all the time and VSC OFF / VSC TRAC coming on after a few seconds and staying on all the time. All I needed to do was add Brake Fluid. The fluid was at the MIN mark and not below which surprised me...certainly not below MIN. I filled up to just below MAX and the lights didn't come back on. The ENGINE MIL light was not coming on.
Just remember to look into why your brake fluid was low.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a similar problem with my sons 05 Highlander, 2wd 100 k miles Limited. VSC, Trac Off and Check Engine all on at the same time. After reading many posts here I check and found the brake master cylinder had too much fluid, way above the MAX fill line and nearly to the rim of the reservoir. I removed about 2 oz of fluid taking it down to just below the MAX line. I also noticed the air cleaner lid was a bit askew and I fixed that as well as removing the MAF and hitting it with MAF cleaner.

Fired it up and all lights are out. Funny thing is the last people to go under the hood about 6 months ago were the Toyota Techs at the dealership for servicing and brake fluid replacement.

Didn't mean to dig up an old thread but wanted to pass my experience along.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i happened to take my '04 in for water pump/tranny/timing belt svc at 90k miles and the vsc/trac/cel lite popped the next morning...hmm...took it back and they said $1200 for new abs brain. I did what we do to the flight control computers on airplanes...pulled the wiring harness off for a minute, plugged it back in, and vsc/trac lites gone (stealership reset cel during their 'exhaustive' troubleshooting).

Popped the lites again a couple years later- performed same 'reset' and all good to go.
where is the cel harness to reset the vsc trac light

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just picked up an '03 Sequoia Limited. I just go rid of an '01 Sequoia SR5. The '01 never had any of these VSC/ABS issues. The '03 has been running fine for about a week and then the VSC OFF, VSC, and ABS lights came on at once while it was parked. There were no problems with driveability but it was annoying to see those lights on. I researched the recall and found out the dealership (not near me) completed the recall action less than 2 months ago. Thinking they maybe reflashed the ECU or possibly replaced it, it would still be under warranty, so I brought to my local dealership. After running their diagnostics, they said it would take another 2 hours to diagnose which sensor is causing the problem, plus the cost of replacement parts.....$$$Ching $$$Ching. I decided to research and fix myself. Some posts mentioned topping off the brake fluid. The brake fluid reservoir was at max, but I figured maybe it was just the reservoir sensor. So I disconnected the sensor, waited about 30 seconds and reconnected. The ABS light was gone.

Next, I took a 3/8" drive extension with a small, ball-peen hammer and gently tapped in 3 places on top of the ABS module housing. The VSC lights went out.

So now it's just a matter of driving and waiting to see how long the adjustments stick and when the lights come back on. Did they fix the root cause of the problems?, no, but it took me 2 minutes to clear all three of them. I'll report back on this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well all 3 lights came back on - no shock there. Only drove about 50 miles and then it sat for 3 days. Started it up and the lights came back on. Tried the same procedures and no effect. When I jumper the Ts and Cg pins the dash lights spaz out and the ABS light blinks 4 times, stops for 2 seconds, then repeats. Is this a code and what does it mean, anything? I haven't tried unplugging the ABS module harness per Teamgomez. Will try that next and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts