Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Toyota sequoia with 105000miles...I read all over the post to try and get a clear diagnoses of this problem to try an inexpensive DIY fix.

I had these lights come on aslong with the CEL around 50kmi and replaced the O2 sensor and cured the problvem. So when it happened again (minus the CEL), I assumed O2 sesor again so I replaced it, well no such luck. I then disconnected battery for a few minutes and then drove car to reset lights, still no luck. So I unhooked all the plugs into the brake booster and master cylinder and reconnected them. This made the brake light come on in addition to the ABS, TRAC, VSC lights. Dammit!~Then I saw my car was part of the recall for the VSC ECU. So I calmed down and went to the dealer...

The first dealer said that the Yaw rate sensor is bad and needs replacement $1020 and then they will reflash the system for recall. (I checked online and part runs $350).

I drove it carefully to the next dealer who found a lot more "Codes" and said a master cylinder will fix it all for $820. I a master cylinder on line (remanufactured) for like $150.

I don't mind spending a few hundred or more to have problem fixed but now my mind is running that I will be wasting money on throwing sensors at the car.

In addition the brake pedal is good, no creeping, nice high firm pedal? I know on older cars this is what a bad brake master fealt like, what different with the new ones.

Sorry to run on, but is thier a way to reset the codes and see how long it takes them to come back or is this a dealer only function.

Thanks for all your input and help...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Have you tried just unplugging the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes to see if that clears the codes? As far as the VSC...if it were me I would just leave the plug disconnected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I dissconected the battery for around thirty minutes. I tried first positive cable, then negative, finnally both cables. No reset, apparantly they must be stored codes in the vsc ecu module. I am leaning that the car just had a glitch and spat out multiple codes so I want to reset it too see if they come back, if the car act funny then I will dissconnect the system. I saw a reset on line of the older cars by jumping two plugs on the OBDII system and pumping brake pedal. This is a great site for this kind of help, I have been getting help from one of the TS members and he is emailing me some information on this problem. Thankyou for the input...
frustrating that Toyota does this and the dealers are not helping by reseting and two different diagnoses...frustrating VSC toyota.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Latest update, took car to independant local garage. They insisted it was the yaw rate sensor, seen it before, so I had them fix it. Well its good now. Toyota should be fixing whatevers wrong with system regardless of the sensor, it is a subpar system. File a complaint with the DOT if you cant get yours fixed for free at the dealer. I actually got a call from the NHTSA/DOT regarding this defect in the Sequoias, it worth our time plus it cost nothing to file vs having to fix cars or worse not being able pay for repair and then having to drive the cars without ABS which is one of the greatest safety devices on modern cars. I will put out a post with a link to the person at the DOT who is helping me follow up with Toyota so we can get some action.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts