Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what is on and off when you are pushing the button,,,, And funny this says A-TRAC, unlike the owners manual,,,,,:rolleyes:

·
Registered
699 Posts
great find but I'm still wondering what A-trac means exactly? I know the auto LSD I took it in high school:D . man what a trip. but seriously vsc is vehical stability control right? but what is Atrac?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great find but I'm still wondering what A-trac means exactly? I know the auto LSD I took it in high school:D . man what a trip. but seriously vsc is vehical stability control right? but what is Atrac?
It is a 4 wheel traction control,,, Same as the FJ's have ,,, There has been very little info on this system on the 07 Tundra's.... I will try to find more info and post it here,,,,

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
A-trac stands for "Active Traction Control" :tu:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More Info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for those. you seem to be the man with all the info. you must work for toyota do you?

AH!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are will you be coming to Hawaii in September for the 50th year celebration/dealer convention/kaizen marathon?
I hear it's going to be a blast!!

AH ,,, I think i won"t be ,,, I am just a parts guy ...:cry:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
AH ,,, I think i won"t be ,,, I am just a parts guy ...:cry:
Yeah same here, but since we're hosting I'm hoping to attend.

I drove the new Tundra yesterday while filming for a commercial. It was my first time driving one, and I wasn't aware of the VSC/A-TRAC. However, once I turned them off I was able to do some major donuts...albeit it was on dirt. I was making some major dust clouds with that truck, and then we moved onto the asphalt where I loaded the converter and let her rip! I must say the truck has some great trq. as it started to go a little sideways on the asphalt too!
I had a blast driving the truck, and now I want to get a reg. cab with the 5.7 and do some autox with it. I think it would be great challenge over my current autox car.
However, someone else drove the truck, and the CEL, VSC/A-TRAC lights stayed on. The truck also could not accelerate over 40 mph, and at start up you needed to press the accelerator or the engine would die out.
I have no idea what the other person did to cause this, but we could not get the lights to go off.
I believe the truck is now a specimen for our Techs!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here is what is on and off when you are pushing the button,,,, And funny this says A-TRAC, unlike the owners manual,,,,,:rolleyes:
This is very interesting information, however when looking at your later pdf posts it looks as though this may have been an initially planned feature that may have been dropped from the production model (the pdf named chass is entitled 'new model outline'). I wonder if we can get totyota to confirm whether or not this ATRAC feature is actually enabled on our trucks?

I think the ideal set up would have been to have ATRAC in 4LO for situations when you would need the most traction, and VSC in 4HI, making driving on Icy or snowy roads much safer for the average Joe.

Also, how do we turn enter 'VSC off mode' in 4x4 to disable ATRAC when VSC is disabled by default?

Thanks for the cool info, gives me something to think about.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You can't turn off A-TRAC in the Tundra, there is no switch for this. A-TRAC is automatically engaged when you go into any 4WD mode. I understand the FJ cruiser has an A-TRAC switch but not the Tundra.
When in 4WD other traction control is disabled.
1/3 of my driving is in 4WD and I can confirm that traction control (A-TRAC), is at work.
My slip light has come on many times in 4HI and 4LO, at the same time you can hear the ABS unit regulating pressure to the wheels and feel the tires gain traction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My sales guys told me about A-TRAC and I found the same information on the display. I never read anything about it in the owners manual or online. I think they changed the name after production started or actually added the feature. I traded a Z71 with Autotrac and G80 locking diff. I will have to say these two features were my favorite. You could nail the gas pulling out and get very little wheel spin and no fishtail action. The Autotrac worked perfect on and off road going in and out of 4wd as needed and back to 2wd all by itself. I never understood why only the American trucks offered this feature. Both Nissan and Toyota have the AWD feature on the truck based full sized SUV but not the truck.

For what is worth the option would be nice to have. I also had 4hi and 4lo if I needed it but the ability to go AWD and have no binding while parking or on the hard stuff was very nice. I would actually forget I had it engaged and drive for weeks at a time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can't turn off A-TRAC in the Tundra, there is no switch for this. A-TRAC is automatically engaged when you go into any 4WD mode. I understand the FJ cruiser has an A-TRAC switch but not the Tundra.
When in 4WD other traction control is disabled.
1/3 of my driving is in 4WD and I can confirm that traction control (A-TRAC), is at work.
My slip light has come on many times in 4HI and 4LO, at the same time you can hear the ABS unit regulating pressure to the wheels and feel the tires gain traction.
I stand corrected, according to the VSCTRAC pdf file posted above ATRAC is enabled in both 4hi and 4lo. And, according to your experiences, this vehicle does indeed have ATRAC. The pdf file also states that there is no ATRAC in 4wd in VSC off mode, which I'm assuming you enter in 4wd the same as 2wd (hold down vsc button for 3 sec while stopped) Good info to know for her virgin dune trip :tu:

I still wish it had some sort of VSC mode in 4 hi for snowy, icy, roads. Would save lives, but probably very hard to tune the gains in the control algorithim for 4wd.

Tom

·
Registered
347 Posts
This PDF explains what each traction control does and in which drive mode it operates in.When in 4WD it does no good to push the traction control button as it is disabled in 4WD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts