Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Want brighter white headlights

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Wildtrout 
#1 ·
I am looking to get a brighter white headlight and foglight bulbs for my truck. I would say 6000k would do, where can I get a stock replacement bulb for it, not HID? I dont want to ballast or anything just replace the bulbs. Thanks

#2 ·
Go with Sylvania Silverstar/Sylvania Silverstar Ultra if you're looking for a bright halogen bulb. BTW the tint on the windshield isn't helping, I used to have 40% and it made a HUGE difference in visibility when I removed it.

#5 ·
Go with Sylvania Silverstar/Sylvania Silverstar Ultra if you're looking for a bright halogen bulb. BTW the tint on the windshield isn't helping, I used to have 40% and it made a HUGE difference in visibility when I removed it.
haha. ididnt even look at his signature line...kinda a duh factor here..."i need brighter lights cause i illegally tinted my windows and windshield" haha thats like wearing sunglasses at night and complaining u cant see....

#6 ·
haha. ididnt even look at his signature line...kinda a duh factor here..."i need brighter lights cause i illegally tinted my windows and windshield" haha thats like wearing sunglasses at night and complaining u cant see....
:pop2: :attention:

#7 ·
I'd be careful about going much brighter. I get flashed by people at night all the time thinking that I have my highs on.

#9 ·
haha. ididnt even look at his signature line...kinda a duh factor here..."i need brighter lights cause i illegally tinted my windows and windshield" haha thats like wearing sunglassesat night and complaining u cant see....

I can see just fine, I just want the look of the bright white lights. I am glad you guys can poke fun at me :boink: Anyone know the K's of the stock lights?

#10 ·
I'll post up another recommendation to use H9 bulbs in place of the stock H11 bulbs. A little searching on TS and you'll find instructions how. Some simple trimming of a couple tabs to make the H9s fit is all it takes.

You're essentially replacing low beam bulbs with high beam bulbs. The beauty of this mod is that you get a lot more - and yes, whiter - light, but you still have halogen bulbs in halogen reflectors.

I've attached a pic of the difference between the two - H9 bulb on the left and stock on the right. The light from both looks unremarkable because I adjusted the camera to compensate for the glare. And sorry, I don't have any side-by-side pics of the output from behind the wheel, but trust me, the H9s are a BIG improvement. And in my experience this is a far more reliable alternative to the Silverstar Ultras.

Attachments

#11 ·
for what its worth, all our chevy impala cop cars came with some PIAA "superwhite" somethign or other bulbs in them. they look nice and help with visibility but they burn out super fast. and its only the low beam, not like the headlight flasher on teh high beam overtaxed them. we've got more cop cars running around with one headlight some nights than we have citizens doing that...kinda funny actually.

#12 ·
for what its worth, all our chevy impala cop cars came with some PIAA "superwhite" somethign or other bulbs in them. they look nice and help with visibility but they burn out super fast. and its only the low beam, not like the headlight flasher on teh high beam overtaxed them. we've got more cop cars running around with one headlight some nights than we have citizens doing that...kinda funny actually.
I've actually seen two patrol cars that had one headlight and to compensate they had the highs on!
I hate it when people do that:mad:

#13 ·
I've actually seen two patrol cars that had one headlight and to compensate they had the highs on!
I hate it when people do that:mad:
yup. i hate it too. when i see it i pull them over for failing to dim headlights. or if they are cool, i'll cite them for the defective low beam so they can get it dismissed if they fix it. some people just dont know any better.

but whats weird, is on our benz, on the light out warning thing, it will compensate for an out bulb...so if u burn a tail light out, it will illuminate the brake light on that side to compensate and give u that annoying warning. and it will use the high beam on the side a low beam goes out... weird.

#14 ·
I too had the Hoen bulbs and they are way brighter and whiter then even the Silverstar Ultras. It was a great bulb. I would still do HID's though! :)

#15 ·
Thanks guys for the help. I ended up finding some Luminics ultra white bulbs that have 5150 k. I ordered some H11 for the lows and 9005 for my fogs. I will try to post before and after pics when they come in.

#16 ·
PIAA H11 Extreme White (55w to 80w) for low beams and PIAA SuperWhite Platinum 9005 80-120w) for high beams...seem to work well. Install kinda sucks though. Loosening washer fluid res and battery seemed to help. You might want to try a little vaseline on the replacement bulbs plastic insert tabs...helps pop aftermarket plastic into factory grooves...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.