Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Want to Add LED lights to Dash Where no Lights Exist

Tags
dash diy led mod
2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  cheech_029 
#1 ·
Here is the issue. I have an 08 Crew Max, with a Bench Seat. The cup holders int he dash have no lights, it is a pain. So I would like to add to small dim amber LEDs to the cupholder tray so that when the headlights are on, these lights would be on.

I would also like to add a LED light near, or between, or around the Power Ports located on the lower dash. I have a PDA holder mounted there and at night I cannot see it and it is difficult to put my phone/PDA away.

Anyone done something like this. Basically any DIY examples that show how to add LEDs to areas that do not have them? I want a DIY instruction for tapping into a line that will run off of the head lights.

Any tips would be welcome.

Thanks Jeff

#2 ·
That shouldn't be too hard to add leds to either location. I also have the bench seat and would love to have my cupholders lit up too. Good idea and I will look at my truck next chance I get and try to figure out the best way to mount an led. Shouldn't be too hard to tie them into the parking light wiring to make em work when the parking lights are on.

#4 ·
I put an LED (similar color to the one already above the cup holders) flushmounted in my center console cupholder. I just tied into the one that came factory installed. I will try to post of it tomorrow. It was super easy!

I also have a PDA hanging on my dash but it is located where I can see it fairly well.

But, I did put courtesy lights in my passenger foot well and two more lighting up the rear seat floorboards.

#5 ·
I put an LED (similar color to the one already above the cup holders) flushmounted in my center console cupholder. I just tied into the one that came factory installed. I will try to post of it tomorrow. It was super easy!

I also have a PDA hanging on my dash but it is located where I can see it fairly well.

But, I did put courtesy lights in my passenger foot well and two more lighting up the rear seat floorboards.
I don't have the console, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Jeff

#6 ·
Yea I would tap into the parking lamps from another dash switch, then your new LED's will dim with the dimmer switch
Well the hard part is finding the proper wire or place to tap in. Are you aware of any DIY on this or another forum that spells out with pictures. I am handy, but In a search of this stuff I could not find a DIY that fit for me.

Jeff

#7 ·
test light or volt meter will be your friend and wont take 5 seconds to locate the correct wire im sure. i cant remember what i tied into when i added my towing mirrors since my truck wasnt wired for them but i found a wire to tap into for the parking lamp portion that way.

#9 ·
cheech,

Did it occur to you that it would have been easier to just swap out the lights in the doors for LED lights as those would have shone more brightly and allow passengers to see the rear seat floorboards better as they were getting in?

Sanosuke!

#10 ·
cheech,

Did it occur to you that it would have been easier to just swap out the lights in the doors for LED lights as those would have shone more brightly and allow passengers to see the rear seat floorboards better as they were getting in?

Sanosuke!
Those lights are a joke in those big crewmax doors. Even if I did replace them with LEDs they wouldn't have lit up the floorboards like the ones I have. I company expensed the lights I installed anyways so it didn't cost me anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.