Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
You can alway move the engine mounts to where it will fit. Speaking of... there was a guy on here that installed a 5.7L V8 in a 1st gen tundra. Any one knows what happened to that???

·
Registered
37 Posts
:confused:

I was wondering if a newer model 4.0L V6 will bolt right into a 2002 Tundra with a 3.4L
As stated below No.

My ? is why?

Is it to gain HP?
Just to do it?
You have a 4.0L laying around?
Why not a 4.7 V8?

Is it to gain HP?
The reason why i'm asking is because if your doing it for HP & toqure then i would say just get a 3.4 supercharger & fuel mods. you can find good deals on the SC and with some fuel mods & tuning you should be able to get the HP you need. Not only that it's a lot easier than install a 4.0, engine mounts, wiring & ecu, Trans, etc.

Just to do it? or You have a 4.0L laying around?
If your doing it to be diffrent, try something new or you have one laying around then i say go for it. It would be really cool and i would like to see a write after it's all done.

Why not a 4.7 V8?

Was wondering why a 4.0 and not a 4.7 V8??
There are a lot of 4.7's out there and i'm sure you can get them for a good price. It would be all the same work as far as mounts, wiring & ecu, etc. and you would get more HP

Like i said i was just wondering.

Good Luck on what ever you do..

·
Registered
302 Posts
No swap is an easy swap unless its the exact same model engine. If you do decide to swap expect to double the cost that you think it will cost. When i did my 5.7 swap it was double what i thought it was going to be. Also make sure that the engine you would swap in is in good working order. I found out about 4 weeks ago that my engine was not running on all 8 cylinders. I had a big chunk missing from one on the left bank and the other 3 were cracked. The engine sounded fine just low compression on 3 and 0 compression on that one cylinder. so now my engine is pulled out the truck and pulled apart waiting on the new parts to arrive. Anything is doable with Time, Money and elbow grease.

·
Registered
467 Posts
No swap is an easy swap unless its the exact same model engine. If you do decide to swap expect to double the cost that you think it will cost. When i did my 5.7 swap it was double what i thought it was going to be. Also make sure that the engine you would swap in is in good working order. I found out about 4 weeks ago that my engine was not running on all 8 cylinders. I had a big chunk missing from one on the left bank and the other 3 were cracked. The engine sounded fine just low compression on 3 and 0 compression on that one cylinder. so now my engine is pulled out the truck and pulled apart waiting on the new parts to arrive. Anything is doable with Time, Money and elbow grease.

whoa whoa.. i wanna see pics.. u got a link?
my 6.0 is sittin in my truck ready to be wired up..

and theres a linked 1st gen tundra in arizona dropping in a 5.7 toyota motor also

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have some pics in my profile. thE pics are before i had the covering on on the wires. and everything cleaned up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts