Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaning towards having the rear of my '06 DC lowered to bring it more level with the front of the truck. I have the Enkei deep six wheels and I think it would look better if the rear came down a bit. The kit I am looking to get is the 2nd pic up from the bottom of this link...Tundra Racing-2000-2006 Lowering Kits

I think I might hold off on the headers for now and go with a mod thats not so hard on the wallet. Does $169 sound like a good deal for this? Are there any other alternatives? I just don't want to go and get the first thing that I come across without asking for general opinions here first. I'm probably looking to go with the 2" drop as opposed to the 1.5".

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I am leaning towards having the rear of my '06 DC lowered to bring it more level with the front of the truck. I have the Enkei deep six wheels and I think it would look better if the rear came down a bit. The kit I am looking to get is the 2nd pic up from the bottom of this link...Tundra Racing-2000-2006 Lowering Kits

I think I might hold off on the headers for now and go with a mod thats not so hard on the wallet. Does $169 sound like a good deal for this? Are there any other alternatives? I just don't want to go and get the first thing that I come across without asking for general opinions here first. I'm probably looking to go with the 2" drop as opposed to the 1.5".
i have a set of these 2" lowering shackles that you are interested in. you can find a new set of shackles made for a chevy for about 1/3 the price or less than these, but you will have to grind them down a bit to fit properly and they will eventually end up making noise because of the bushing design. i spent the extra $ for the top notch bushings/design and also because they are powder coated. email or call tom (the owner). he'll point you in the right direction. he's a good fellow to deal with and he knows his trade very well.

there are not many of us lowered around here in the land of the lifted. good luck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a set of these 2" lowering shackles that you are interested in. you can find a new set of shackles made for a chevy for about 1/3 the price or less than these, but you will have to grind them down a bit to fit properly and they will eventually end up making noise because of the bushing design. i spent the extra $ for the top notch bushings/design and also because they are powder coated. email or call tom (the owner). he'll point you in the right direction. he's a good fellow to deal with and he knows his trade very well.

there are not many of us lowered around here in the land of the lifted. good luck.
Ok, stupid question... me and a buddy were looking under the truck trying to figure out where these lowering shackles would go but couldn't figure it out. Could you tell me exactly where these bolt up to? I would like to do the install myself if possible. I would think it shouldn't be too difficult or require any special tools. Also, any negative side effects to lowering the rear 2"? I don't carry any heavy loads in the bed, but do occasionally tow a 6'x12' enclosed trailer that weighs approx. 3000-3500 pounds with all the stuff in it.

WhiteLiteNin, do you have any pics of your truck? Did you just lower the rear and leave the front at stock height? If you left the front at stock height, how even is the front to rear after the drop? Is 2" too much, or would 1.5" be better? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i was going to wait and do a thread on this later, but since your asking i'll share with you my entire approach to this whole lowering gig i am undertaking to provide you with a few ideas and other areas that you will have to address along with installing the shackles. and i would venture that there are other ways to proceed and this is the way i have decided to go. i haven't done the install yet because some of the pieces are still in transit, so no pics.

i've lowered the front about an inch already with some icon coil overs. this also improved the ride quality and handling immensely. when i first took measurements, the rear was 1 1/2" higher than the front. so after the project is complete the truck will be lowered 2" in the rear and 1" in the front.

when the rear is lowered with the 2" shackles then the rear shocks will loose 2" of travel. to address this i had a pair of bolt on-3" lower-rear shock mounts fabbed up to increase travel and and retain ride quality. some bilstien 5100's are temporarily going on the rear and they will handle the extra inch of travel created by the 3" lowering mounts. i went 3" because i know i will install some icon resi's one day in place of the 5100's to fine tune the ride quality and the resi's require an additional 1" of height between mounting points to function properly. in the mean time, the 5100's will do the trick.

when the rear of the truck is lowered 2" the pinion angle will be incorrect on the rear end. Tudraracing included a set of shims to install under the leaf springs to address this so that there will be zero vibrations from the rear end as a result of an incorrect pinion angle. this is a must!

i went with shorter, softer bump stops to allow more travel than the stock bump stops would provide. i will only loose 1/2" of travel between bump stops and with the type of driving i do i should have a relatively easy time staying off the bump stops anyway. overall i'm figuring that i shouldn't loose any travel and handling should improve with the 5100's being a bit stiffer than stock shocks.

on your towing question... i would look at the tongue weight of the loaded trailer to determine the approach you'll need to take. if you search around here on ts you will learn from other folks previous snafu's that lowering and towing are not used often in the same sentence portraying combined success. i tow very seldom and with not much weight on the tongue. i do haul loads in the bed a bit. i'll be installing airbags to solve this little issue.

i researched and asked a lot of similar questions and mostly people suggested to just add air bags or timbrens to assist with loads/towing, but i never found anybody who actually lowered their ride and installed either airbags or timbrens for towing/hauling. and if you think about it... lowering your ride height and retaining shock travel don't appear as likely dance partners. and the addition of towing/hauling makes for even a few more sore toes. i had to get outside the box on this one, and it feels like i am pioneering a bit with this project.

a set of 20" rims/tires will compliment the hellwig sways to assist the handling aspect. the icons will provide close to a lexus type ride, and depending on how i like the look/feel of the new rims and tires, i can see adding wheel adapters to widen the stance a couple inches to improve handling.

i am creating a slightly lowered gen1 while retaining suspension travel with improved ride quality that will handle better than a lot of cars while maintaining the functionality of a truck. that was too much typing! and now you know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got a set of lowering shackles I took off of my truck!! If your looking to just drop down the rear end to level or slight rake, these shackles will do it. Super easy to install! Their just sitting in a box in my garage, VERY WELL MADE!! Check out my old cardomain site, there are some pics of my truck there. I've since raised it 6 inches and put it on 35's, so I have no need for the shackles. Let me know if your interested I'll sell them to you for cheap.
bryce
703-963-8731

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698193

1 - 7 of 7 Posts