Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am new to this forum and am presently an owner of a 2002 Chevy Silverado 4wd extended cab short bed with about 55,000 miles. I am going to purchase a new truck this fall or early next year. My present truck has the infamous piston slap in the engine and I am not sure if I want another Chevy. I drove the 2007 DC Tundra the other day and was quite impressed with it. I did hear what I thought was piston slap in that new engine though. Maybe I am just listening too hard as I don't want another truck that sounds like this Chevy. Is piston slap a problem in the Toyoda too? What other problems are you aware of on this new Toyoda truck? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hi. I am new to this forum and am presently an owner of a 2002 Chevy Silverado 4wd extended cab short bed with about 55,000 miles. I am going to purchase a new truck this fall or early next year. My present truck has the infamous piston slap in the engine and I am not sure if I want another Chevy. I drove the 2007 DC Tundra the other day and was quite impressed with it. I did hear what I thought was piston slap in that new engine though. Maybe I am just listening too hard as I don't want another truck that sounds like this Chevy. Is piston slap a problem in the Toyoda too? What other problems are you aware of on this new Toyoda truck? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks!
I just got rid of a 02 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab for this Tundra and I have to say there is no way I could be happier with this purchase. I also had the piston slap on the 6L Silverado and a ton of other major problems with it. Including new transmission, new water pump, new rear end, new steering colum about 6 times due to an extreme rattle caused by bad bearings, new ac, new exhaust, new grill, new power window motors on both front doors, new wiper control arms. And that was all while the truck was still under 36k mile warranty! My last 3 Chevys were total garbage.

I know everyone is different and has their own experiences with domestic cars, but for me...... I'm thru with them. Nothing worse than making a monthly payment and also having to pay for major repairs (many more repairs to those trucks were needed after warranty).

I cant even begin to tell you how much I love this Toyota. I do not have the piston slap that others have mentioned, and if you look at the poll someone took, I think it showed a high majority didnt have it either. I'm only running 87 octane thru it, and its super quiet. The truck is so solid and well built.

Whats kind of funny to me is that every year a new model comes out, I hear people say "Chevys are so much more dependable and better engineered and well built now than they used to be". Whats great is that I heard that line of crap everytime I bought my last 3, and I still had nothing but major problems with all of them.

I think you'll love the Tundra. I'm pulling 3 tons with it everyday without any problem at all. Great truck!

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thanks![/quote

We came from a 2000 Silverado. The new chevy was never considered once we sat in one and drove it. My son - the huge Ford fan, was with us when we drove the Tundra the first time. He loved it, said he would consider it and thought we should buy it. We had the worst time finding a good Toyo dealer, but then we did and we ordered our Limited dc, 4x4, with Nav. Very nice truck, no piston slap. This is the truck for us.
You need to drive and see which ones you like. I like the looks of the Ram, but it sounds like there are lots of problems there. Ford was our second choice and they will give you good deals.
good luck and don't rush the decision.
camper1333

1 - 6 of 6 Posts