Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday night i jumped my RPM'S to around 5200 and it leveled out to around 2 or 2500 i was running about 65 or 70 mph and locked down on my brakes (cause i turned my rotors and it was pulling to the left) and when i took back off my check engine light started flashing. We thought it slipped time but instead i warped 2 valves on the passenger side motor it is going to cost me aroung 1500 dollars has anyone one else had this happen to them?

·
Veteran Member
1,477 Posts
Mine's been to 5200 (or more) a lot of times with no problems. In fact, that's about where the V8 upshifts if you stay on the gas. You didn't pull it into low gear from 65-70 MPH did you? If you caused it over rev somehow by downshifting, I can see where you might bend a valve, but not otherwise.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sounds like your cam timing is out, probably from old timing belt.

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
Mine's been to 5200 (or more) a lot of times with no problems. In fact, that's about where the V8 upshifts if you stay on the gas. You didn't pull it into low gear from 65-70 MPH did you? If you caused it over rev somehow by downshifting, I can see where you might bend a valve, but not otherwise.
Yeah when I get on mine holds to about 5200 or higher throughout almost all gears doesn't shift until right at redline.No problems as of yet.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've also never had any type of problem after redlining the engine in my truck. I don't see how one run up to or above redline could "warp" only 2 valves, besides what is a "warped" valve??? Did you bend the valve stem? Most engines can rev higher than the redline without damage to major components but engineers put a redline where the engine will not get damaged and for longevity issues. Typically the valves experience "valve float" due to the springs not being able to close them fast enough and maybe some other minor issues. And if you did experience valve float to the point where they got damaged, what about the pistons?? The pistons are the only thing that'd hit the valves so shouldn't you also need new pistons?? I'm not buying this story but if you are, someone's feeding you a real good one to get $1,500 out of you.

Also, what is that about the brakes?? You were going 70mph and jumped on the brakes?? This is how you break-in new brakes? No wonder someone's sticking it to you for $1,500 for warped valves.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
haven't redline my truck yet, but in my GSR, i have missed shift from 3rd to 2nd and rpms just to 9K a couple of time. surely thought my motor was going to blow. but it didn't. don't know about toyota's motors though. i have seen 5S-FE (4 cyl camry from 92-01) just blow a hole in the block right besides the oil filter on light load only. have seen 5VZ-FE's (3.4 V6's) do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
have seen 5VZ-FE's (3.4 V6's) do the same thing.
please reference this incident please. I owned a 5VZ for a couple of years, and that motor is known to be practically bulletproof.

On a side note, your engine redline is a bit higher than what the tach says. They are set lower to protect the engine.

As far as "warped" valves, I have never heard of that. Only bent. Was it intake or exhaust valve?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
please reference this incident please. I owned a 5VZ for a couple of years, and that motor is known to be practically bulletproof.

On a side note, your engine red line is a bit higher than what the tach says. They are set lower to protect the engine.

As far as "warped" valves, I have never heard of that. Only bent. Was it intake or exhaust valve?
on the 5VZ motor, i think it was in a 02 taco. i had talked to one of the techs that works at Toyota and said the owner was a pretty young guy, prob like early 20's. he said he was accelerating and trying to merge into traffic when it just gave up. don't know if he was really on it or not, but there was a hole on the side of the block as well.

as for the 5S motors, apparently Toyota knows of this problem but because it does not happen a lot and no class action lawsuit, they just replace the motors free of charge.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have put 30k miles on mine and i would say 70% of those miles were at redline with no problems.

Your one owner out of thousands of Tundra owners. I dont think this is a warning. You just had a run of bad luck.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
on the 5VZ motor, i think it was in a 02 taco. i had talked to one of the techs that works at Toyota and said the owner was a pretty young guy, prob like early 20's. he said he was accelerating and trying to merge into traffic when it just gave up. don't know if he was really on it or not, but there was a hole on the side of the block as well.
quite interesting. I wonder what the circumstances for that incident were.

My 03 Tacoma was supercharged with no additional fuel mods and it ran lean as anything. Still didn't have a problem pushing 8lbs of boost till 60K when I sold it. I bought the s/c at just under 5K on the truck.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Your one owner out of thousands of Tundra owners. I dont think this is a warning. You just had a run of bad luck.
i agree. not all cars/trucks will be the same. there will be that one car/truck that just has bad luck, either from factory or from previous owners that didn't take care of it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have put 30k miles on mine and i would say 70% of those miles were at redline with no problems.

you truck is living proof that tundras are strong as hell. this guy beats his tundra to death and its still goin.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
quite interesting. I wonder what the circumstances for that incident were.
He did not check or change the oil for 90k which is how long a 3.4 will run with NO oil changes. We have seen a few and that seems to be the magic # for no oil changes on a 3.4.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
He did not check or change the oil for 90k which is how long a 3.4 will run with NO oil changes. We have seen a few and that seems to be the magic # for no oil changes on a 3.4.
Joking right? :confused:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
a guy i worked with, was a manager at a tire shop up here and said he had a tacoma come in with 40k, and he aisked the guy if it had ever had an oil change, the guy was like huhh?? he said the oil was pitch black.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
a guy i worked with, was a manager at a tire shop up here and said he had a tacoma come in with 40k, and he aisked the guy if it had ever had an oil change, the guy was like huhh?? he said the oil was pitch black.
Now that is scary. I don't think an engine can go 40K without an oil change. The oil would be more than sludge at that point.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Now that is scary. I don't think an engine can go 40K without an oil change. The oil would be more than sludge at that point.
I am not joking when I say the 3.4 we got was run to 90k with no oil changes. The reason it died was the oil became sludge and actually froze the cam and threw everything off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i've gone off the rev limiter ONCE. but i've never ever made the rev line bounce from doing snow drifts.

·
Registered
803 Posts
when iam out in the sand ill bounce the rev limiter all the time in first gear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts