Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know the driveshaft on your 4X4 has lube points? My dealership didn't. After taking it in for a lube, oil & filter, I asked if they had lubed anything as the scheduled maintenance calls for on EVERY oil change. They said "no", these are sealed units. After crawling underneath and finding grease fittings, I called around and was told that 4X4s do. It appears my rear shaft has them but the front one doesn't. I did them all last night.

Tell me, am I crazy? Am I missing something here? Is it possible that all the 4X4s going thru this dealer haven't had the shaft,, ujoints and other components lubed? Thanks for any info.
huico :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
The factory botched on this as well. Many of the earlier model Tuns did not get adequate lube in the slip yoke of the driveshaft causing some binding after hard braking.

Get a grease gun and a pencil tip adapter and do it yourself for some peace of mind

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
this is entirely possible...when you work on a dozen different models in a day, it's easy to miss the differences, and to skip things on the checklist because you assume they aren't applicable. show them if you have to, and specify exactly what you want done. the best way to get good service is start by knowing yourself what needs to be done, and ticking off the list when you take it in for service. that way, everyone knows exactly what's supposed to happen.

other option is find another dealership, but unless you're fairly memorable (in a good way, mind) you'll just go through the same thing all over again.

-sean

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TMS2U said:
The factory botched on this as well. Many of the earlier model Tuns did not get adequate lube in the slip yoke of the driveshaft causing some binding after hard braking.

Get a grease gun and a pencil tip adapter and do it yourself for some peace of mind
Hey man, What is the slip yoke and how do you know how much lube (how many pumps) to give when you can't see the clean grease coming out; or can you?
thanks, huico

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Robby Huico said:
Did you know the driveshaft on your 4X4 has lube points? My dealership didn't. After taking it in for a lube, oil & filter, I asked if they had lubed anything as the scheduled maintenance calls for on EVERY oil change. They said "no", these are sealed units. After crawling underneath and finding grease fittings, I called around and was told that 4X4s do. It appears my rear shaft has them but the front one doesn't. I did them all last night.
My '01 has six grease fittings on the rear driveshaft and two on the front driveshaft.

Ken

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update! Drive shaft Lub

Went by the dealer today and saw the service manager. He mentioned the sealed unit thing until I told him about all the zirks. He then looked in his 04 service booklet and said "durn, it does mention lubing the drive shaft. I never knew that. Thanks for the info and when you come in again, we'll do something for you". BTW, Toy has done away with the 7500 mile service interval for 04. It's now a straight 5000 for cars and trucks, no matter what the driving conditions.
Thanks all, huico

·
Registered
487 Posts
Grease them at every oil change. The universals get allot of water spray and the grease coming out around the seals looks like mud. Ken would recommend an aluminum complex grease as it is much more water-resistant than the much more common lithium based products. I would have to agree with him but I have a case of moly and regular grease that will take me a lifetime to finish using!!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Aluminum complex is the thickener material--most common is lithium complex. The thickener just holds the grease in place. Oil is added to the thickener to provide the lubrication, either dino, or synthetic, or both. Other additives are also added...tackifiers, moly for heavy wear.

I use a waterproof aluminum complex base grease with synthetic blend oils and moly for reduction of friction and extreme pressure protection.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/274.html

Ken

·
Registered
223 Posts
The propeller shaft on my '04 4x4 DC has standard zerks on the rear shaft but something different on the front shaft. A standard grease gun will not fit on them. Does anyone know what I need to use to lube them?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The propeller shaft on my '04 4x4 DC has standard zerks on the rear shaft but something different on the front shaft. A standard grease gun will not fit on them. Does anyone know what I need to use to lube them?
If you haven't figured it out already....You'll need pencil tips for your grease gun to get grease into those zerks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Where do you find pencil tip grease gun nozzles? No such animal at Auto zone. I tried grinding a standard down to fit the fronts but still doesn't work. Nor will a needle point.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Buy yourself a grease gun, add Mobil1 synthetic grease, and do-it-yourself every 15,000 miles. My 2003 4Runner also has the zerks, and although I've used 3 different dealers, none lube the driveshaft zerks. Mine gets a low pitched drivehsaft whine due to lack of lube. The dealers are useless on this subject.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You would think that all Toyota dealerships would know how to service a Tundra by now but sadly that is not the case. From past experience, getting good service while traveling is not always easy. The Toyota dealership in Anchorage had a five day waiting list and a kid at Wal-Mart screwed the new filter down on the old gasket. I was lucky to notice the leak in time. A damaged engine 5000 miles from home would have been a disaster. This past July, I was on another long vacation trip when the light came on. No longer trusting Wal-Mart, I decided to give the Toyota dealership a try. The wait time was considerably less than five days this time. The service writer took down my order for oil change and filter but when I requested that they also lube the drive shafts, he gave me a look like I was some kind of idiot. I assured him that my 2005 Tundra had grease fittings. I drove a few miles and checked the filter and all was well but that night after setting up camp, I got out my flash light to have a look and found no sign of any fresh grease. Several fittings were covered by a layer of old grease and dirt.
Needless to say, a mini grease gun is now part of my travel tool kit.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I've got to say the dealers here in southern Ontario are pretty freakin amazing, they not only do this service but told me about it when I came in for my scheduled stop. And I've gone to alot of 'em. If it's in the manual they're on it. Over the last 9 years the over all competence of the service department and mechanics at several dealers has made it easy to stay with only a dealer . But I do like the mini grease gun for after those water/mud bog weekends:)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Tell me, am I crazy? Am I missing something here? Is it possible that all the 4X4s going thru this dealer haven't had the shaft,, ujoints and other components lubed? Thanks for any info.
huico :rolleyes:
Yes, this is disturbing to say the least. I just got back from the dealership, was having my 2008 Tundra serviced. Asked them if they had lubed the drive shaft and the technician had no idea that there were zerk fittings anywhere on the truck. Then the genius tried to tell me, “well that’s not part of routine servicing”. WTF is going on here!?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts