Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a 2007 5.7 Tundra with 70k miles. I tow a lot, usually more than 7k to 10k pounds. Recently I hired a park-time mechanic (he has full time job, work side job on sundays) to replace my front brake (oringinal toyota pads) and he took off the rotor to Sears (they open on sunday) and resurface, after the job is finished, I didn't notice any vibration for about 2 weeks. Now my truck every time I go over 40MPH and step on the brake, the truck vibrates, less then 30MPH and step on brake no vibration. I took to a brake shop and do alignment, they told me the guy didn't resurface my rotors, because original rotors has xxx mm and if he resuface my rotors it would be less than xxxmm. Do you think my rotor is warped? or I can just resurface the rotor again? please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe sears let a "new guy" cut your rotors.. Sounds like they weren't set up properly on the brake lathe.

I would replace them with Toyota rotors, and not even bother resurfacing them again. Like you said, you tow heavy, often.. The rotors are $110-125 Each

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the alignment guys said, most resurface place don't have such a giant rotor machine to resureface a Tundra rotor, so the rotor might NOT be resurface all the way across. but why, after the resurface I don't feel vibration, and after 2 weeks, everytime I step on the brake, if the truck goes over 40MPH I felt heavy vibrations?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
its probally back to the same thing we've posted about before, its not necessarily a warped rotor, its deposits from the pads over time creating an uneven frictin surface...so when a rotor does warp, the pad material fills in the low parts, etc..when you resurface them, it only cuts them flat again but in the low spots it might have deposits of pad material and road grime etc....so when they warm up, the friction differences cause the pad to grip and slip creating a warped feeling. now thats easy to feel when they are warm and it ususally goes away when they are cooled off..

if its consistant even when completley cold and heat does nothing to change it, it might very well be overtorqued wheels. over torquing them will warp rotors.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Save yourself some time and headache - get some non-Toyota rotors and be done with it.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Save yourself some time and headache - get some non-Toyota rotors and be done with it.
when i do mine im gonna get some drilled ones...yeah they are a negative when it comes to resurfacing them but out of the two cars that i had drilled rotors on (factory drilled rotors on the benz w/brembo pads, aftermarket drilled/slotted with aftermarket pads on the corvette), i never had a warping issue...every car ive had w/non drilled rotors i manage to warp. driving style yes. but if i get drilled ones i think it will keep it from happening again. maybe. but it will give me an excuse to get some new rims so i can see them better anyway so its a win win.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts