Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the warranty book and found that Toyota had a bit of a disclaimer or their warranty, which states:

"When maintenance and repairs are paid for by you, these services may be performed by you or by any automotive service provider you chose. Toyota will not deny a warranty claim solely because you used a service provider other than a Toyota dealership for maintenance and repairs. However, any failure or noncompliance caused by improper maintenance or repairs is not covered by this warranty."

Has anyone done all of their maintenance themselves and then taken their Tundra in for warranty work and had the dealer give them any trouble about maintenance and not done the warranty work?

I was wondering if it is worth the extra $$$ to have all the maintenance done by Toyota it if a major repair is going to need to happen under warranty down the road?

I have a 2006 DC with 20,000 miles and the Toyota certified warranty.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I haven't had to test this directly, but I will say that I did try to get Toyota to cover the dreaded fill tube problem 1 WEEK outside of the 3/36 warranty. None of the dealers would extend good will to me because I didn't use them for oil changes and such. BASTARDS!

My guess is that you get better service if you're a regular customer than if you're not. For me, I don't have a problem with the dealer doing regular service other than the fact that it just takes so long and it's a big hassle. It takes me less time to change my oil than to take the truck down to the dealer and have them do it. Plus, I know I'm going to do it right!

After the fill tube incident, I'm done with warranties unless it's something major!

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
The dealership would have to prove negligence on your behalf in order to deny a claim.

Also, if you have aftermarket parts installed, make sure they don't deny you solely for that purpose. Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I would keep a detailed record with reciepts because they will look how well you keep records and say does his maintenance practices fall in line with his record keeping!! Service writer told me this and he also said if ya keep ALL reciepts and do the Required TOYOTA maintenance you will be ok!! Dealers will try to sell you the farm and some of the farm might be needed but most i would say NOT!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts