Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title states the 3 year 36K warranty is about to expire on our recently purchased '04 SR 5. Before we bought it we had a independent mechanic give it the once over. It got a clean bill of health. But he was fairly sure that no 30K service had been done. So I have some questions -

1. Before the warranty expires should I take it to the dealer for the 30K service and have a few things fixed (the hinge cover's broken on the driver's seat)? To be honest I hate dealers, I had a very bad experience with a Honda dealer when I was in college. Ever since then I've never used dealers but hate not to take advantage of my warranty before it expires. Would it be worth the hassle to take it to the dealer?

2. What should be done at 36K? If I have an idea of the basics maybe I can avoid being railed by the dealer.

3. I have no idea whether the balljoint recall was ever done. The dealer should be able to tell me right?

4. None of the dealers near me are listed on the recommended list on the main page. I have a choice of two dealers each about 30 minutes away. Is there anywhere I can find about their track records online?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Like the title states the 3 year 36K warranty is about to expire on our recently purchased '04 SR 5. Before we bought it we had a independent mechanic give it the once over. It got a clean bill of health. But he was fairly sure that no 30K service had been done. So I have some questions -

1. Before the warranty expires should I take it to the dealer for the 30K service and have a few things fixed (the hinge cover's broken on the driver's seat)? To be honest I hate dealers, I had a very bad experience with a Honda dealer when I was in college. Ever since then I've never used dealers but hate not to take advantage of my warranty before it expires. Would it be worth the hassle to take it to the dealer?

2. What should be done at 36K? If I have an idea of the basics maybe I can avoid being railed by the dealer.

3. I have no idea whether the balljoint recall was ever done. The dealer should be able to tell me right?

4. None of the dealers near me are listed on the recommended list on the main page. I have a choice of two dealers each about 30 minutes away. Is there anywhere I can find about their track records online?
Toyota Parts and Service
This site will explain what needs to be done and when and if you do not have reciepts for all the service to date they will probably shoot you down on any warranty work unless you have a decent dealership?? there are a few out their but good luck!! Toyota Service writers will wanta see your proof you have been doing your DIY Maintenance and if ya have nothing to show them you are SOL? Most dealer service items are wrapped in with other service items to milk you of more $$$ and not do what they were supposed to do in the first place meaning they know you will be coming back to get done the things you should have done to start with?? Those packaged service deals a not what they are all cranked up to but someone does need to perform the items that are listed in the link above and if nothing has been done just start somewhere becuase if ya let maintenance items slide, they will snowball and that will cost you $$$$ on a Toyota!:eek: Have the service writer do a TSB check on your vehicle and ask him to print it and give it to you for your records and ask him which ones need done prior to warranty experation!! If you have no records it will be hard to get an extended warranty and they will probably sell ya one but first time after the original warranty expires they will wanta see detailed service records from time it was new i would almost bet!!:confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts