Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to wash your truck and avoid creating spyderweb scratches? This will be my first new truck and I am looking to keep the paint void of scratches for as long as possible. I live in a dry and dusty area prone to thunderstorms in the afternoon and occasional summertime bursts of hail and groppel (frozen water droplets about the size of a small ball bearing). Any tips on products that work well?

Thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
just take it for a ride trough a bush and you wont have to worry about scratching it anymore.:D I always just use a nice soft cloth bought from wal-mart and soap and water, with a pressure washer from the home-depot but dont get too close with the preassure washer just ask my wife.shes still PO'd at me.:D

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Depends on how mu8ch time you want to use. I kept my vette tip top with Zaino (www.zainobros.com) it's the best out there. I use microfiber towels to wipe down with detail spray and an electric leaf blower to dry it off and get rid of the rear view mirror water.
I may do this with the new tundy, but it is so big that I may just use MacGuires NXT. Use their soap and a lamb wool mitt, and the Mr. Clean Sutodry system to rinse with filtered water to dry without spotting.

It all depends on how much time you want to put into it and how much money. You can spend a few hundred dollars easily, doing the Zaino thing, but Mac's is a bit cheaper and less time consuming.

Just do me a favor, and NEVER use dish washing detergent unless you're about to claybar and seal it.

Rejex is also supposed to be one of the best sealants out there...tough as nails!! and shiney:D

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on how mu8ch time you want to use. I kept my vette tip top with Zaino (www.zainobros.com) it's the best out there. I use microfiber towels to wipe down with detail spray and an electric leaf blower to dry it off and get rid of the rear view mirror water.
I may do this with the new tundy, but it is so big that I may just use MacGuires NXT. Use their soap and a lamb wool mitt, and the Mr. Clean Sutodry system to rinse with filtered water to dry without spotting.

It all depends on how much time you want to put into it and how much money. You can spend a few hundred dollars easily, doing the Zaino thing, but Mac's is a bit cheaper and less time consuming.

Just do me a favor, and NEVER use dish washing detergent unless you're about to claybar and seal it.

Rejex is also supposed to be one of the best sealants out there...tough as nails!! and shiney:D
I will NEVER use dish washing detergent on my truck. That would be a rediculous thought. I will research the Meguiras NXT system. I don't want to spend a lot of time detailing my truck but i will definately be doing it at night to avoid sunspots. Thanks for the tips.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I will NEVER use dish washing detergent on my truck. That would be a rediculous thought. I will research the MacGuires NXT system. I don't want to spend a lot of time detailing my truck but i will definately be doing it at night to avoid sunspots. Thanks for the tips.
I always used to detail in the sunlight....I had no shade or garage for a while there. I Zaino'ed and used NXT on the vette and NXT on my 04 Taco in the full sunlight,with no issues...you just have to wash a couple panels at a time, rinse, wash a couple panels, rinse and repeat. Keep your truck wet and you will be in good shape.

Try the Rejex too...I think you can find it at marine supply stores, but it is also on the internet. I will use it the first time I wax the tundra.

·
Registered
347 Posts

I take it that you made a typo when you said that you use a leaf blower to "get rid of the rear view mirror water"?Did you mean the side view mirrors? If you hose down the inside of your truck, it would seem that getting rid of the water on the rear view mirror would be the least of your water removal problems LOL.

·
Registered
699 Posts
whats wrong with using dish soap? I've used it on all my other vehicals never had a problem havent washed the new one yet, they look meaner dirty:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to stand on the nerf bars to reach the top, found my first dent :eek: there small. No one will ever be able to see it unless they are 7 ft tall.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I use Meguiars NXT on the Tundra. Easy to use and has a great shine. Remember these are trucks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought one of those brushes like you see at the car washes at Walmart. The brisstles are very soft and won't scratch the paint. The brush has a long handle that extends which makes washing the hood and roof a snap. After the wash, i use 100% terry cloth to dry. I can wash and dry in the truck in less than 30 minutes.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I take it that you made a typo when you said that you use a leaf blower to "get rid of the rear view mirror water"?Did you mean the side view mirrors? If you hose down the inside of your truck, it would seem that getting rid of the water on the rear view mirror would be the least of your water removal problems LOL.
yes yes yes...I get it...hmmm, side mirrors facing the rear...making them viewing the rear...rear view mirrors on the side not sideview mirrors on the inside, the side of the viewing of he mirror is the rear, but the rear is not what the side of the mirror is viewing, if the rear of the side of themirror were viewing the side of the rear...it would be like looking at a clown's azz.:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Depends on how mu8ch time you want to use. I kept my vette tip top with Zaino (www.zainobros.com) it's the best out there.

What is it with the Vette guys and their Zaino addictions??? I have a buddy with a Z06 that has a $1000/mo addiction to Zaino. I think he resells it to support his habit. :D +1 for Zaino. I have been using it for several years. I have the Toyota Sealant on there now (part of the $349 Vehicle Shield package). I will see how it holds up. It came with extra to use later on.

hit_em said:
whats wrong with using dish soap? I've used it on all my other vehicals never had a problem havent washed the new one yet, they look meaner dirty
Dish soap will strip the wax off of your paint. I would only do it if I were going to do a deep clean and apply Zaino or new wax.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i took mine to one of those touch free laser wash car washes. I think i will be washing it by hand the next time though as it really didnt do a good job. I have noticed that turtle wax car wash works well and the mothers line of wax/polish works well on my car and bikes. I really like mothers as far as there polish such as the grille area and and chrome you may have.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have used those "soft brushes" on a broom handle but I think they do leave the "swirles" . I have used a sponge and did it by hand on the first wash of the 07 Tundra. Don't plan to use the brush ever again on a truck or van, etc. I will use the brush on the fiberglass TT, however. Thats too big a job for a sponge and the fiberglass is less subject to the "swirle" problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys, if yall are looking for a good wax i really like the turtle wax ice wax and detail sprays.. I put the wax on my tundra this past weekend and it looks absolutley amazing (I know i need pics) , Its doesnt leave any white residue and you can even use it to wax you black molding.. you can apply it in direct sunlight too. My paint is so smooth you can fall slide off of it if you arent careful. It is a lil expensive though but ive used it on both my cars and i have nothing but great things to say about it..

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
There is a wealth of information at carecareonline.com with several "how-to" and why not articles. This guy also has product reviews for several brands of wax, car-wash, etc.

I found it very useful and influenced the products I have purchased for washing/waxing/caring for all my vehicles.:tu:

I also use Leatherique products on the leather (duh!;) ) in my cars. Just FYI, since we are on the topic.
YMMV

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Some true and false information thus far. Here is my $.02 worth.

Hoping that your paint is in great condition first (properly clayed/waxed) keeping your paint swirl free is easy. You need a good car wash soap, not dish detergent, NXT is good, but Duragloss CWC is much much better. You will need 2 buckets and a high quality mitt (no brush or sponge). Fill the first bucket with clean water, the second bucket with your soap solution. Rinse the truck to remove any loose debris (always in the shade). Then dip the clean mitt into the soap and wash a panel. I usually do a hood, or half of a side etc. Rinse that section. Put your wash mitt into the "just water" bucket. That rinses the dirt out of the wash mitt and leaves your soapy water free of dirt and grime that could swirl the paint. Wash the truck from top down leaving the front for last (most bugs, dont want to drag them along your paint). When you are done, take the nozzle off the hose and flood the truck with water, that makes it eaisier to dry by sheeting the water off of the surface (only works if your truck is waxed). Then dry with a high quality chamois or Microfiber drying towel.

As for what products to use, check my detail writeups and product lists for some great info on some great polishes/cleaners/waxes etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts