Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What did you do to/with your Gen2 Sequoia today?

Santa installed new front struts.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: What did you do to/with your Gen2 Sequoia today?

Did you get new spring with the bilstein strut?
Haven't heard of anyone trying this before on a Sequoia, but I took a chance and got the Bilstein 6112 front strut kit for Gen2 Tundras. Comes with 2.6 inch diameter shocks and larger/longer/softer Eibach springs.

Set them on the lowest perch which Bilstein says is supposed to give 0.75 inch lift. The Tundra guys usually go for the higher settings to level their trucks. Hope my Sequoia settles some more because it now has a 2 inch front lift and is sitting 1 inch nose high. If I had researched this more I would have known that the lowest setting gives 1.5 to 2 inches of lift. See, for example: 6112 Height and Settling - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum. Now I'm faced with decisions about how to get back to level - rear coil spring spacers or that steel bumper with winch? (LOL)

Ride is so much smoother with these struts. Now I know why I never noticed a difference in the ride when I tried different shocks and coil inserts in the rear. Most of the stiffness was coming from the front. Pavement imperfections are smoothed out and it no longer feels like you are going to break something if you don't slow down for parking lot speed bumps.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts

Haven't heard of anyone trying this before on a Sequoia, but I took a chance and got the Bilstein 6112 front strut kit for Gen2 Tundras. Comes with 2.6 inch diameter shocks and larger/longer/softer Eibach springs.

Set them on the lowest perch which Bilstein says is supposed to give 0.75 inch lift. The Tundra guys usually go for the higher settings to level their trucks. Hope my Sequoia settles some more because it now has a 2 inch front lift and is sitting 1 inch nose high. If I had researched this more I would have known that the lowest setting gives 1.5 to 2 inches of lift. See, for example: 6112 Height and Settling - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum. Now I'm faced with decisions about how to get back to level - rear coil spring spacers or that steel bumper with winch? (LOL)

Ride is so much smoother with these struts. Now I know why I never noticed a difference in the ride when I tried different shocks and coil inserts in the rear. Most of the stiffness was coming from the front. Pavement imperfections are smoothed out and it no longer feels like you are going to break something if you don't slow down for parking lot speed bumps.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the 2nd gen tundra bilstein 6112 can be fitted to the sequoia. I was looking at the kit, but wasn't sure if it will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the 2nd gen tundra bilstein 6112 can be fitted to the sequoia. I was looking at the kit, but wasn't sure if it will fit.
Fit is fine, but be aware that if anything goes wrong it probably would not be warranted. (Use on other than recommended vehicles is one of several Bilstein warranty restrictions.) Warranty

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Took it on a cattle drive...

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Seq is no where near as "AWESOME" as the one's above. One simple thing I did was add this 2ndary TPMS. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FM6WZZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like to be able to monitor my tire pressures for each tire from inside the car. It fits on the stem so I am hoping a) it does not throw off balance and b) it does not leak. But it is cool to see all 4 tires in the car (something I had on my 04 VW). I'm doing a long distance drive next week, so we will see how it performs on trips.

I WISH I had that bumper up here in NYC -- do parking sensors fit on it? :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Seq is no where near as "AWESOME" as the one's above. One simple thing I did was add this 2ndary TPMS. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FM6WZZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like to be able to monitor my tire pressures for each tire from inside the car. It fits on the stem so I am hoping a) it does not throw off balance and b) it does not leak. But it is cool to see all 4 tires in the car (something I had on my 04 VW). I'm doing a long distance drive next week, so we will see how it performs on trips.

I WISH I had that bumper up here in NYC -- do parking sensors fit on it? :)
I imagine that the bumper in NYC would help you clear out traffic :)
The bumper did come with holes for the parking sensors, so I made it work. Really glad I got the bumper, it's saved my pocket money in the long run. Two car accidents (low speed), and hit a deer without even a scratch on it.
I have the fobo tire sensors, I'm surprised that Toy doesn't have them... almost every other car on the road have them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DSCLegend, I like your wheel / tire setup a lot. Have you done any suspension work and if so what? I think your ride height front and back look great and is exactly what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DSCLegend, I like your wheel / tire setup a lot. Have you done any suspension work and if so what? I think your ride height front and back look great and is exactly what I'm looking for.
Thank you. I have the stock Platinum air suspension. Looking closer at the pic, I think I left it in the high setting after unhitching the trailer. Driving around the back is pretty much leveled with the front.

·
Registered
200 Posts
DId this the other day to my rig.

CBI offload ditch light brackets with Ridged Industries D2 driving lights.

Thinking about putting some wide beam RI lights in my fog lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
My latest addition is an LED strip (the length of each running board) on each side of the vehicle. Right above the running boards, protected by the door and running boards, illuminates the entire length of the running board plus about 4 feet out from the vehicle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Went out Camping with some light off-road. Had a wonderful time, it was a beautiful place.

unfortunately i managed to crack two rims! Still cant get my head around how it happened. Lesson here maybe not to buy used rims, that or maybe they were knock offs?

Now im stuck with 5 almost new 17 inch tires i need to find rims for. Im not to keen on getting the TRD's again if this can happen. Would love some feedback on some 17 inch rims that would fit a sequoia. I bought a steel 17 inch rim made for the land cruiser as a spare, but they are not that easy on the eye. TBH though im looking for something reliable that wont have me in this type of pickle again.

Here are a few shots of the trip and crack.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ali_q8t --- those are some amazing pictures! And I am shocked as well that your rims could not handle that terrain (as it didn't look too intense if a van made the trip as well).

Now get a few kayaks and paddle over to Socotra Island! :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts