Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anybody has tried to mod the nav so you can watch the DVD's from the RSES on the front screen while the car is in motion. I tried doing the same mod as I did on my Lexus and it partially works. It involves grounding the parking brake wire and then bypassing the speed wire into the NAV. It works great for the first mile or two of motion and then it stops, as if the NAV has some sort of algorithim to disregard the speed sensor (as if it were malfunctioning) input if the GPS signal detects motion. Has anybody tried this and gotten to work consistantly? Thanks.

I don't want to hear from you people who think driving around while watching DVD's is bad, I know it is and let's leave it at that.

·
TS
579 Posts
From the little I have heard on this topic for the new tundra, it seems like you can get the older software cd from the lexus or older toyotas and then mod it like the past.

Sorry I cannot be more help for now, but it may get you looking in the right direction

·
Registered
110 Posts
what is the RSES? is that the rear entertainment DVD player and screen?

i was under the impression when i bought the DVD NAV that it would atleast play DVDs when in park....but the only disk i can put in the DVD slot is the map disk...if its a DVD player why wont it play movie DVDs?

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
if its a DVD player why wont it play movie DVDs?
Because of the saftey nannies. Find a way around them and we may be in buisness.

Someone needs to find the method to get into the "programming" screen. I can get into the "check" screen, but there are no modifiable parameters.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get the Nav and factory rear seat entertainment system, it will play movies if you are not moving and have the parking brake engaged. This is the setup as it leaves the showroom floor. Since then, I have grounded out the parking brake signal going into the Nav (so it appears to the NAV that the parking brake is always on) and I installed a switch on the speed input onto the NAV. So now, I can be driving along the road, hit my switch and voila, I get a DVD picture on the nav screen (as well as options for inputting destinations, dialing the phone, etc) for a couple of miles, until the NAV system figures out that something must be wrong. It sees the speed signal showing zero yet the gps shows its moving, so it thinks the speed signal must be wrong, it'll just disregard it and lock out the options above until the gps signal shows I'm not moving. I'm going to try loading the ver 5.1 NAV dvd and firmware and see what happens. Otherwise, does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Loading Ver 5.1 firmware into the NAV solves my problem with my switch setup. I actually created my own hybrid NAV DVD by burning one with the Ver6.1 map info but the 5.1 firmware, so now I can watch dvd's, enter dest info, and have the latest map info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SLATE CMAX LTD 5.7L 4x4 NAV TRD w/ TRD DUAL EXHAUST

I am ready to buy a 07 Tundra NOW! The only problem is that all my local dealers don't currently have any on their lots that meet the specs I want....and they can't seem to find any in their region...or so they say.

Here is what I want:
CMAX LTD 5.7L 4x4 TRD w/ NAV and TRD Dual Exhaust with 20" BFG Tires. Prefer SLATE exterior with any interior except RED ROCK

Am I asking too much or are my dealers not patient enough to look for the right truck for me?

Again, I am ready to purchase ASAP.

Thanks,

Joseph

·
Registered
18 Posts
Loading Ver 5.1 firmware into the NAV solves my problem with my switch setup. I actually created my own hybrid NAV DVD by burning one with the Ver6.1 map info but the 5.1 firmware, so now I can watch dvd's, enter dest info, and have the latest map info.

Ok lets see if I got this right. If I want to watch DVDs with the NAV I have to have the rear entertainment system. That is what you put the DVDs in? I am debating about getting the factory NAV or waiting and getting after market.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok lets see if I got this right. If I want to watch DVDs with the NAV I have to have the rear entertainment system. That is what you put the DVDs in? I am debating about getting the factory NAV or waiting and getting after market.
To watch DVD's in the front you need the NAV and Rear entertainment system, plus modding some wiring behind the NAV unit plus the older version of the MAP dvd. Also the RSES is only available as a factory option on the crewmax. If they make a dash adaptor for aftermarket dvd/nav/headunits, I would probably go that route next time.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
For the price of the factory NAV, you could buy 2 aftermarket NAVs with more features.
True Toyota navi Suck:td: :td: there useless Pos on features you gain nothing like Xm traffic navi and Hdd Hard drive with better voice rec then even Toyota will provide.Im Not very happy with Toyota Navi's I feel there vastly Outdated Techology with week's feature's.Pioneer z1/z2 are the best and they make head unit's for the Scion's so Toyota had pioneer as a vendor Toyota just slap's there name on them anyways it's not like they make them...

Erik

·
Registered
58 Posts
georgia tundra. you seem to have a real problem with the stocl navi... i own a 2007 tundra with the stock nav and it works great... the fit and look is unmatchable by any aftermarket setup.. i think most of the people on here that prefer the stock unit is becuase it looks stock... and not messed with plus it is untegrated into the truck... i have a an 89' yota pickup that is modified to the maximum and has the z1. the voice recognition on my tundra is by far superior to that of the z1.. i think that it is unnecesary to tell everyone that there navi's suck just becuase they dont have a hdd and play dvds... it is only matter of time till they come out with a plug and play interface that will support an external dvd player. other than that if you have an ipod which most people do then there is no reason for an hdd... to me i think that the fit and finish of the stock nav is a way bigger benefit then having the hdd...

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
georgia tundra. you seem to have a real problem with the stocl navi... i own a 2007 tundra with the stock nav and it works great... the fit and look is unmatchable by any aftermarket setup.. i think most of the people on here that prefer the stock unit is becuase it looks stock... and not messed with plus it is untegrated into the truck... i have a an 89' yota pickup that is modified to the maximum and has the z1. the voice recognition on my tundra is by far superior to that of the z1.. i think that it is unnecesary to tell everyone that there navi's suck just becuase they dont have a hdd and play dvds... it is only matter of time till they come out with a plug and play interface that will support an external dvd player. other than that if you have an ipod which most people do then there is no reason for an hdd... to me i think that the fit and finish of the stock nav is a way bigger benefit then having the hdd...
lexus has Hdd with Xm navi traffic too which i enjoy on my Z1..
Lexus LS - Features & Pricing - Interior

"the voice recognition on my tundra is by far superior to that of the z1" LOL are you kidding me what a joke still doesn't do music search voice related functions and overall the z1/z2 has many voice related commands that beet's out the factory on mulit tasking sorry your wrong on this remark.

Maybe to you Toyota navi are decent since it's your first but to me this isn't my first Toyota doesnt build a decent system the technology is lame and if you like to see how well Toyota Build them try out an 07 Avalon which really suxxx on not having touch screen and a stupid joystick like what is provided on this Car. The problems with Toyota is there too slow on addressing a lot of thing's and Im tired on there lame systems that i would gladly inform people truth .having both of them the Hdd does out performs the other and I've seen that.I have friends with the Factory Navi Tundra and a lot of them like my system vs what they have with the expection on one who lives In Sc.Oh yea i have replaced many 07 Tundra Oem for the Pioneer z1/ z2 and let me tell you everybody who has replaced this unit speaks very highly on the features and surport offered vs the Factory outdated Pos dvd drive.Oh yea Toyota is going to Hdd too on the factory later just like Lexus has been using hdd this year too so since Lexus saw the light Toyota is expected too as well.

About fit and finish maybe to some degree your right but with the kit's used in Todays market there just as good looking on as the factory and even better since you also have the option to not have That Lame black plastic peice in the middle pod.There is a reason for Hdd and that is storage and your limited to what is provided on a old school DVD based system with map's you have to change out on area Hdd is far more superior feature wise vs what you have right now in front of you.

2007 Tundra Crewmax with Pioneer Z1 Hdd 30 gig navi

·
Registered
58 Posts
as far as how many voice commands there is,the z1 may win... but what i am talking about is how good it understands the commands... my tundra seems to understand difficult street names better than my z1. as far as xm traffic, i have never tried the service... i wasnt saying that the hdd was not a better setup but that it is not necessary..i dont really understand the benefit aside from the music.. most of the time my z1 wouldn't even know the names of the cd's anyways so my library ended up looking like a bunch of dates... one thing i like about my tundras nav is that it uses regions instead of states for searching.. since i live in lake tahoe i was always switching between states. thismay not be a problem for people who dont live closeto a stateline... after realizing that your avalon didnt have touch screen i can understand why you wouldnt like toyota nav though... that being said... my definate main reason of why i waited a month and paid 3000 extra for my nav was the look and integration... it just makes it look more luxurious...

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
as far as how many voice commands there is,the z1 may win... but what i am talking about is how good it understands the commands... my tundra seems to understand difficult street names better than my z1. as far as xm traffic, i have never tried the service... i wasnt saying that the hdd was not a better setup but that it is not necessary..i dont really understand the benefit aside from the music.. most of the time my z1 wouldn't even know the names of the cd's anyways so my library ended up looking like a bunch of dates... one thing i like about my tundras nav is that it uses regions instead of states for searching.. since i live in lake tahoe i was always switching between states. thismay not be a problem for people who dont live closeto a stateline... after realizing that your avalon didnt have touch screen i can understand why you wouldnt like toyota nav though... that being said... my definate main reason of why i waited a month and paid 3000 extra for my nav was the look and integration... it just makes it look more luxurious...

The navi is $2,200 Tundra option but depends on Region and Personally it's not worth the Money and your still cut short on features and options. Honda makes a better system vs Toyota would anyday I know my dads accord Navi is much better with Xm and everything being a much nicer system Vs Toyota.
Like I stated Hdd is a tab bit better because it's the mulit tasking the unit does do beyond having Region Dvd's which tend to get lossed etc Hdd has all that stored in the system including Music burned as well Overall thats a key benifit in my opinion since I dont carry Cd's in my Tundra.

Also I wanted to make it clear it sounds like you need to update the firmwave on your Pioneer Z1 from the sounds of it you need to update gracenotes and some sofeware to kept that on tab's on voice commands' I know the early Z1 has a few issues but if you make sure those update are done you wouldn't have any problem's. I know I had some issues on my bluetooth and Pioneer sent me a free updated Cd and poped that in and it resolved my problems.Usually you will also find fourms like Ts who would have helpfull people..

Thanks
Erik

·
Registered
58 Posts
i agree that honda has a better one

·
Registered
5 Posts
The navi is $2,200 Tundra option but depends on Region and Personally it's not worth the Money and your still cut short on features and options. Honda makes a better system vs Toyota would anyday I know my dads accord Navi is much better with Xm and everything being a much nicer system Vs Toyota.
Like I stated Hdd is a tab bit better because it's the mulit tasking the unit does do beyond having Region Dvd's which tend to get lossed etc Hdd has all that stored in the system including Music burned as well Overall thats a key benifit in my opinion since I dont carry Cd's in my Tundra.

Also I wanted to make it clear it sounds like you need to update the firmwave on your Pioneer Z1 from the sounds of it you need to update gracenotes and some sofeware to kept that on tab's on voice commands' I know the early Z1 has a few issues but if you make sure those update are done you wouldn't have any problem's. I know I had some issues on my bluetooth and Pioneer sent me a free updated Cd and poped that in and it resolved my problems.Usually you will also find fourms like Ts who would have helpfull people..

Thanks
Erik

Have either of you guys tried to say "AM" on your navi? I have a new 2007 D-cab Limited and for the life of me cannot get it to recognize "AM". Any pointers other that taking speech class to get rid of my accent?
Thanks,
WVTundra

1 - 20 of 32 Posts