Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying an 07 Tundra SR5 DC with 4x4 @ TRD offroad package. I am an archaeologist and work in northern and central Mexico in the summer and have to drive through some rough places. I am confident the 07 Tundra would handle rough and rocky fire roads and mountains fairly easily, but I am a little concerned with river crossing. I occasionally have to cross a river with water no higher than the tires and was wondering if there is anything I could potentially damage or fry in the truck. I am very careful when crossing rivers and only do so when I know about the bed, depth, current, etc. I don't want to do any heavy mods such as a lift, but I am open to small mods to help me cross the river better. Please let me know how you think the Tundra would handle a river and if there is anything I could easily damage.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re: Anyone taken their 07 Tundra offroad yet?

The location of the air intake should make river fording depth fairly decent. A 2.5" suspension lift might not be a bad idea though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a water crossing thread in here recently, take a look. The same concerns apply to your truck. Extend all breathers, don't sit, keep a bow wave, etc...
What breathers are there to extend? Would having a TRD Cold Air Intake be risking it too much? I don't really think so, because I don't think water would be coming up behind the headlight if I was going the proper speed.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
What breathers are there to extend? Would having a TRD Cold Air Intake be risking it too much? I don't really think so, because I don't think water would be coming up behind the headlight if I was going the proper speed.
Maybe just your rear differential breather. Toyota uses the same breather on all their stuff, it should take a 14mm deep socket to remove or you can pry off the cap and attach a hose directly to the stock breather. 1st gens had two breathers extended to the engine compartment, but the rear diff and other parts of the drivetrain aren't extended from the factory.

I wouldn't think any sort of CAI would affect it at all, just take the same precautions as you normally would--stay out of water that's near the level of your intake.

Is it possible for the fan to spit water at the air filter on your CAI?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts