Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every time it rains i get water in my fuel to the point the truck will not start . . . the truck's a 2000 tundra 4x4 4.7L with 245,000 miles . . . here's what i've done so far . . . background, the truck starts just fine on starter fluid and runs ok until it's gone, which says the electrical and mechanical are ok . . . when this problem happens, i spend a half day draining the bad fuel out of the tank, and then it runs ok . . . i've put gas water treatment in and this sometimes gets the truck running, tho rough for a while, i've replaced the pressure regulator, fuel filter, filler cap, and 4 of the 8 injectors, fuel pump works fine . . . help!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
When you drain the fuel, do you let it sit to see if it really water in the fuel? It might be fouled up plugs that are not sparking hot enough to ignite the gas/air mixture but are hot enough to ignite the starting fluid, which is more easily combustible. Another thing is do you know if the timing belt has been replaced at least twice, you are less then 25k miles from need a new one. You need to replace it every 90k miles. This might cause the timing to be off so that the easily combustible starting fluid would ignite but the gas/air would be weak or not ignite at all.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i can't imagine how at every rain, the fuel get's water in it.
assuming the hood is on, that discounts under the hood. after it rain's i have opened my hood & it's dry, even here in florida when it storm's, with wind gust's blowing the rain sideway's. even in down pour's.

so that leave's the fuel tank, and the fuel filler, & the cap.
since the tank is under the truck, with a shield covering it, i can't see that happening, unless it has a hole in it.
the filler tube could be it, rain does get into the fuel filler cover, it run's down the side of the truck & into where the cap is, BUT there is a drain hole.

now the fuel cap, unless it isn't tight it might allow the rain in, but if you were to take the cap off start the truck, it will through a code. so that can't be it.

maybe you are looking at the wrong thing's like mostsleek said.
anyway, i hope 1 of our toyota service tech's here (ASE mechanic's) can shed some light on it for you.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your help . . . when I let the "fuel" sit for a minute, you can see the water in a nice big "pool" on the bottom. When I blow the filter out (backward), I see the same thing . . . water in the gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this post is ten years old... but I've been having this same problem. No cure yet, but thought I'd chime in for the benefit of anyone else who thinks they may be having this problem. Like Mr. Huff, I've let it settle in glass jars and definitely has water in it. The most recent time it happened I put two bottles of iso-heet in it and it chugged through and then ran OK after that. It hasn't rained again yet.. but I'm convinced water is getting in when it rains, especially if it sits for a long time through multiple storms.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Not saying I dont believe you see water in the fuel, but how is it possible its happening when it rains? By that logic there's a leak somewhere right? So if thats the case wouldnt it smell like fuel all the time? If not, how could water get in but fuel cant get out?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, as far as it happening when it rains, that is just pattern matching. I suppose I could try putting a sprinkler on it for a few hours and see if it happens. Lately I've been parking it in the barn to avoid the problem and that seems to work, but no, I can't be absolutely sure. Ant, yes, it would indicate a leak somewhere. The interesting thing there is that the first symptom was it throwing an intermittent evap system code -- I haven't been able to find that yet either. At first I thought it was the gas cap which would explain both, but I replaced it and no help for either. Sometimes it goes weeks without the evap code even.

I've not seen any sign of fuel getting out, though of course the water accumulates in the bottom of the tank. My wife says it does smell like gas sometimes when she walks by it, again, an indication that there's a leak somewhere. I just haven't been able to find it yet.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Well if you can smell it and your throwing codes it would make more sense you have a hole somewhere. You never said at first you were throwing a code so what code is it throwing? Read this thread here, post 10 from JBarnett. If you cant find the leak yourself with just a flashlight and crawling around under the truck you can test your system like he did. That should get rid of the codes but more so tell you where the leak is and hopefully fix your water problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts