Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Showed my intelligence tonight... went thru the car wash with the gas cap off and lid wide open. Water MUST have gotten into the tank, but there were no symptoms or problems in the three miles it took to get home.

Should I expect problems? Is there an additive to remove water from the tank? Any suggestions anyone?

The Seq is my wife's daily driver, and I'd hate for her to get stranded on the tunrpike. How concerned should I be that there may be water in the gas tank? What sort of problems can I expect?

·
Registered
191 Posts
the water will sink to the bottom of the tank & will be used before the gas - so if you got water in the tank you will encounter anyproblems in the next few miles. However there is a flap that will prevent most of it from going in - so you probanly didn't get a lot in there. Most gas has water in it as well.

You should go for a sunday drive for a bit to make sure to get rid of it - after an hour you will be OK

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
You need to get like a dozen bottles of "DRY GAS" and just dump them all in your gas tank. That should help you. Godd Luck!! Johnnnny

·
Registered
62 Posts
Showed my intelligence tonight... went thru the car wash with the gas cap off and lid wide open. Water MUST have gotten into the tank, but there were no symptoms or problems in the three miles it took to get home.

Should I expect problems? Is there an additive to remove water from the tank? Any suggestions anyone?

The Seq is my wife's daily driver, and I'd hate for her to get stranded on the tunrpike. How concerned should I be that there may be water in the gas tank? What sort of problems can I expect?
I would not worry about it too much. In the past (10 - 15 years ago) gas station owners used to add water to theGAS to make more money (until they got caught) and no one noticed I don't thinkyou got too much in as someone said already... there is a flap that prevents stuff from getting in. As long as it's not sugar... you'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are using oxygenated fuel, the water will disolve into the ethanol. Gas dryer and heet are just alcohol. If your fuel does not have ethanol mixed in, then I would follow the advice to add a dryer additive. Since water sinks in fuel, the small amount of water is probably below the fuel pickup in the tank. The fuel system normally has water introduced from condensation of the air in the tank, so it should be OK. By the way, my Sequoia does not have any flap on the filler pipe, so if yours is similar, quite a bit of water could get in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts