Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we had a pretty bad thunderstorm with lots of wind and heavy rain that lasted for about an hour or so. This morning I noticed at the bottom of both back doors of my DC the carpet is wet and the screw holes in the door sills are filled with water. It rains quite often here in LA, but this has never happened before. Could it have been the amount of rain and force from the wind?

Anybody had this happen? Is there an easy fix to prevent it from happening again?

·
Registered
369 Posts
It shouldn't leak in a rain storm while traveling on the open road, so I'd be inclined to rule out wind speed and heavy rain if it was parked. Anything in the under-floor storage areas?

Unless you had enough street flooding to account for the water you found, it sounds more like a problem with weatherstripping around window(s) or door(s). In the latter case, you should be getting plenty of wind noise while on the road if things are that bad.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It shouldn't leak in a rain storm while traveling on the open road, so I'd be inclined to rule out wind speed and heavy rain if it was parked. Anything in the under-floor storage areas?

Unless you had enough street flooding to account for the water you found, it sounds more like a problem with weatherstripping around window(s) or door(s). In the latter case, you should be getting plenty of wind noise while on the road if things are that bad.
No, it wasn't from street flooding. The water only got high enough to cover the tire up to the bottom of the rim. I don't get wind noise either.

It has to be a problem with weather stripping though. The water is coming in from inside the door. I pulled the inside panel off and the whole inside of the door is wet, including my rear speakers.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Your first post mentions wet carpet at both rear doors and water in the screw holes in the sills (plural). Are both wet inside, or just one? Any signs (rust, water stains, etc.) that the problem might've been there awhile and you're just now noticing it? No missing rubber drain plugs where (enough) water could've gotten in from underneath?

It's hard to see how both doors would develop problems with weatherstripping at the same time. You've got a pretty good mystery there.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your first post mentions wet carpet at both rear doors and water in the screw holes in the sills (plural). Are both wet inside, or just one? Any signs (rust, water stains, etc.) that the problem might've been there awhile and you're just now noticing it? No missing rubber drain plugs where (enough) water could've gotten in from underneath?

It's hard to see how both doors would develop problems with weatherstripping at the same time. You've got a pretty good mystery there.
Yeah, both sides have the same problem and only on the rear doors. I did some close looking a little while ago and I found that the part of the door where the plastic meets the metal down at the bottom doesn't even come close to where the water was on the carpet. My whole theory of water coming from inside the door and getting on the carpet and filling the holes in the plastic door sills is kinda blown away now.

Now, to your theory of water coming from underneath. Are there drain plugs right under the rear doors?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I know where it's coming from. Since the inside of the doors are wet and those holes in the plastic sills are filled up with water. It has to be coming down the inside of the door, coming through where the plastic door trim meets the metal part of the door and pooling up on top of the door sill. There is a rubber weather strip where the bottom of the door closes, on the outside of the door sill. The water comes down the door and pools up against that weather strip.

Something is not right with whatever keeps the weather from entering my truck on the back doors.

·
Registered
369 Posts
. . . coming through where the plastic door trim meets the metal part of the door. . .
Not sure I know which trim piece you mean--the thick horizontal one* like a door protector, about half way between the bottom of the window and bottom of the door? Or something around the window itself?

*I'm looking at mine--a Limited--don't recall if SR5's are much different.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am getting the same type of leak on my front driver side door on my Sequoia (filling up the door sill holes and wet carpet) after heavy rain like we had the other day in New Orleans. I haven't tried to pinpoint it yet but I need to check it out soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts