Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again friends!

I bought a Timing Belt Kit from eBay a couple of weeks back. Tomorrows the big day! Every thing seems simple enough to figure out between me, TS, google, and a Chiltons manual. Except, this kit came with 2 what appear to be different style gaskets for the waterpump. I have attached pictures. One is a thin metal sheet one with a rubber "seal" around it that is raised on both sides. The other is a piece of cardboard. Do I use one or the other or both? Both just didn't seem right, but who knows. Also, with the rubber "seal" do I still need to use a gasketing material, if so any recommendations? ANY other tips, tricks, input would be very helpful for this whole job.

Thanks everybody!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
When I replaced mine it was different from the factory one I pulled off. I purchased a Toyota pump and it came with the rubber edge gasket. Do not use both and I would use the correct sealer too, I believe I used the blue RTV. I would use the rubber edged seal. I believe the rubber will prevent the gasket material from going into the pump plus add in sealing the area. Be sure to torque to the factory specs. Since you are there are you going to replace the timing belt, idlers and the seals. This is recommended. It was a little more work to get the crank pulley off plus the cam gears off to replace the seals but since I was there did it. I think the main crank is something like 275 foot pounds to reinstall so make sure you have a huge torque wrench. I actually purchased a 1 inch torque wrench to put the main crank bolt back on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looks very similar to the 4.7 gasket that uses no sealer. I don't think the metal one uses any. Make sure and install the two new
o-rings and either soap them or use spit when you push the pump on and the water housing on. The sealant around the water inlet
housing should be a 1/8" wide bead.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are you supposed to use sealant? I changed my timing belt and water pump 20,000 miles ago and I remember when I did it, I didnt put any sealant around the water pump gasket. I figured since it had that rubber piece around it and there was no trace of any sealant on the water pump I pulled off, it would be better to just leave it alone. I hope its not leaking now:unsure3d:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 5 Speed and Shootist. The kit does include all mentioned, and I planned on changing it all whilst I was in there. I didn't think both was a good idea. The sealant I got said it was for waterpumps, so I should be good. Thanks for the heads up on the torque wrench, better go borrow one from Autozone. Any thing else you can think of I might need? I will be without wheels and 5 miles from any autoparts store once I tear into her at around 7AM. Also, I bought Prestone coolant, as I read somewhere that it's about par with the Toyota Red, any disagreement there? Thanks again.

Also, I will be using the HAYNES manual, as Chilton is special order only anywhere around here :dry3d:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Make sure you have a six inch vise handy for pressing the tensioner back in to pin it for the install. Also take a close look at
all the timing marks when you line them up for removal of the belt. Then look at them again after dropping the tensioner. It will
just set your mind at ease when going back together as the cams move a little bit.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW what a "Fun" job.... whew, thank goodness that's over. Anyway, I didn't use any gasketing compound at all. The Gasket that came with the water pump (metal with rubber) was identical to the factory gasket, which had no other material other than what was built into the gasket. So, I just made sure my surface was clear of debris and clean and slapped the new one on. Cheers to anyone who takes this on. This is, so far, the most involved job I have done to the truck. Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
WOW what a "Fun" job.... whew, thank goodness that's over. Anyway, I didn't use any gasketing compound at all. The Gasket that came with the water pump (metal with rubber) was identical to the factory gasket, which had no other material other than what was built into the gasket. So, I just made sure my surface was clear of debris and clean and slapped the new one on. Cheers to anyone who takes this on. This is, so far, the most involved job I have done to the truck. Thanks everyone for the help.
I didn't use any sealer with my metal gasket either. Afterwards I called the local Toyota dealership and the tech told me they do not use sealant on the gaskets either.

The only place I used black FIP was on the t-stat housing, same place the factory did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts