Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pump went out on me last week, so I did some internet searching and found a great site that shows step by step how to replace a water pump on the 3.4L. I followed their directions and success! I highly recommend checking it out if you are a novice like me and are planning on tackling this job.

Tacoma Water Pump Replacement

Thumbs up to these fine folks.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Great job, now you will be ready to change the timing belt. Not that much more difficult once you figure out how to remove the cam and crank bolts. One nice thing about the V6 3.4 is that is a non interference design and you won't put a valve throught the piston if you run your belt a little long. Replaced mine about 110K and it was not that bad. I did replace the crank and cam seals which made the work a little more interesting, but once you are there, do the job!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
the only thing I did different/screw up was I allowed the timing belt to fall off the crank when I removed it off of the cam sprockets. I did not have a good hold of it when I took it off. Luckily I did mark it well. When I put it back on it was much tighther than I anticipated. I had to zip tie it on the right cam sprocket while I tugged pretty hard to get it lined up properly on the left one.

As far as the timing belt replacement. I knew you need to remove the crank bolt and pulleys, but I did not know the cams had to come off. Thanks for the info. And yes it is good to have a non-interference engine.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You don't have to take off the cams, what I ment was behind the cam pulleys there are two cam oil seals that it is recommended that you replace them. A trick for changing out the water pump is to slowly back off the bolts that tighten the timing belt tensioner, don't remove it and then you can remove the center idler pulley, replace the water pump, replace the center pulley then slowly tighten the two bolts for the belt tensioner. When you replace the timing belt, I would replace both the idler and the tensioner, new belt and both the crank seal and both cam seals. The fun is in removing the bolts for the crank and cams. If you have a 4x4 put it in low 1 and this will help removing the crank, but I had to purchase a 3/4 inch touque wrench to get it up to the required ft. lbs. I made a flat plate with two holes in it to remove the cam bolts. There are people that use the starter to remove bolts, I know this works just I wouldn't do it that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts