Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have owned my 06 DC tundra for almost 2 years to the day and its been totally trouble free until now.

I noticed about a month ago the truck was using/leaking antifreeze at about 1/4 quart a week. I took it in to the dealership and they topped it off and told me to keep a eye on it. Today I was determined to find the cause after checking it daily and feeling nervous as we have been in the mid 90's-105oF for over two months now. I dropped the skid pan and it looks like the waterpump is shot or the waterpump gasket is leaking the dried up and crusty pink antifreeze makes it easy to spot.

While under the truck I noticed the rear main seal is leaking also.

I bought the truck certified used at 29,000 miles and at the time added the platinum warranty. I will be taking it in tomorrow morning and hopefully either of the two existing warranties will cover me without any dramas.

I've been less than impressed at my local dealership in regard to both sales and service but we will give it a shot and hope for the best this should not be all that difficult but I feel a fight coming on for some reason.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
If it's "certified" and under the timeline and mileage of the warranty, stand your ground. There shouldn't be a fight over obvious powertrain issues that certainly cannot be deemed normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's "certified" and under the timeline and mileage of the warranty, stand your ground. There shouldn't be a fight over obvious powertrain issues that certainly cannot be deemed normal wear and tear.
My understanding is the certified part covers powertrain and the platinum I purchased covers virtually everything else other than brakes, belts etc.

Under either warranty (7yrs/100K) from original in date sale, I should have until 2013 or another 51,000 miles remaining.

Thanks for the support :)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Hope everything works out for you and keep us informed about how things go with your repairs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dropped her off this morning so far so good will post update when I get one.
The guy I used to deal with in service is gone fired or quit I dont know which but I am dealing with the assistant service manager and he seems like an agreeable fellow.

I am trying to stay positive throughout and I know the big 3 are junk but I jumped ship from years with nissan because of the perceived higher quality of toyota. With the few issues we have had with our 09 corolla and now my tundra I wonder what is going on these days.

49,900 miles on a toyota waterpump is ridiculous not to mention the rear main seal.

I know they will fix it and all will be good but I will be purchasing an extended warranty in the near future for our 09 corolla for peace of mind just the computers in these vehicles makes the extended warranty look like a hell of a deal should something go wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I've had good service from both toyota and nissan. That is something that I just cannot say about my experience with gm vehicles bar the 99 olds intrigue we had which was the best gm vehicle I ever owned.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Well I have owned my 06 DC tundra for almost 2 years to the day and its been totally trouble free until now.

I noticed about a month ago the truck was using/leaking antifreeze at about 1/4 quart a week. I took it in to the dealership and they topped it off and told me to keep a eye on it. Today I was determined to find the cause after checking it daily and feeling nervous as we have been in the mid 90's-105oF for over two months now. I dropped the skid pan and it looks like the waterpump is shot or the waterpump gasket is leaking the dried up and crusty pink antifreeze makes it easy to spot.

While under the truck I noticed the rear main seal is leaking also.

I bought the truck certified used at 29,000 miles and at the time added the platinum warranty. I will be taking it in tomorrow morning and hopefully either of the two existing warranties will cover me without any dramas.

I've been less than impressed at my local dealership in regard to both sales and service but we will give it a shot and hope for the best this should not be all that difficult but I feel a fight coming on for some reason.
What the big print giveth, the fine print taketh away.

Read your warranty closely: Warranties commonly exclude things considered "normal wear and tear items," which usually includes gaskets and seals. I'm not saying that's your case ... I'm just saying it sometimes happens. Be prepared, just in case.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:-

Everything covered under warranty, talk about quick turnaround and a very positive experience dealing with the service dept. I was offered a loaner but when they told me the truck would be ready today I declined and made do for one day.

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Update:-

Everything covered under warranty, talk about quick turnaround and a very positive experience dealing with the service dept. I was offered a loaner but when they told me the truck would be ready today I declined and made do for one day.

Regards

Haytundra,

That is cool. Glad everything was covered performed in a timely manner.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Good to hear that your repair was covered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts