Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand spanking new 2011 Black TRD 5.7L 4x4.

I just waxed and polished it. Pics attached :D

I have read lots on the types of wax and polish everyone uses.

But I have Black paint, so how often do I need to wax and polish this Back beast? FYI, I live in extreme HOT climate of Las Vegas. Summers we get 95-110F of dry heat.

I want to upkeep this for a continuous show room look and dont mind waxing & polishing every month if I have too? Is this bad, every month?

The more layers of wax, the better?

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
From what I've read, wax is what you do to the polish. In other words ,the wax always is last because normally polish has some "cutters" in it and we don't want the polish breaking down the wax. I'm sticking with Duragloss for my silver heap. They offer a 2 part polish with a catalyst that layers over each other and a spray sealant that can get on anything without harm.More importantly though, is the cloth you're using. Microfiber is your best bet for as scratch-free finish as you're gonna get.Buy the best microfibers you can afford and keep 'em clean with no fabric softener.I "pull" the water off my hood with just the weight of the cloth and wipe "with the wind" everywhere else. Save the cotton towels for wheels and tires.Washing incorrectly with the wrong products will reek havock on your black paint just as quickly as anything you're using to polish and wax. After 23,000 miles there are NO swirls,scratches or 'spider-webs' in my paint and I look it over while it's sitting in the sun;) PS, WITH my glasses on!:p

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read, wax is what you do to the polish. In other words ,the wax always is last because normally polish has some "cutters" in it and we don't want the polish breaking down the wax. I'm sticking with Duragloss for my silver heap. They offer a 2 part polish with a catalyst that layers over each other and a spray sealant that can get on anything without harm.More importantly though, is the cloth you're using. Microfiber is your best bet for as scratch-free finish as you're gonna get.Buy the best microfibers you can afford and keep 'em clean with no fabric softener.I "pull" the water off my hood with just the weight of the cloth and wipe "with the wind" everywhere else. Save the cotton towels for wheels and tires.Washing incorrectly with the wrong products will reek havock on your black paint just as quickly as anything you're using to polish and wax. After 23,000 miles there are NO swirls,scratches or 'spider-webs' in my paint and I look it over while it's sitting in the sun;) PS, WITH my glasses on!:p
THX a bunch!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Polish only as needed when you notice defects in your finish, then follow up with a coat of wax. Use your choice of sealant or wax to protect the finish of your vehicle.

Improving your washing/drying techniques is the best way to prevent swirling and defects in the paint and the need for polishing.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yeah, polish as needed, usually about 2-3 times a year is average. You can wax as often as you like, that wont harm anything. If youre using a synthetic (which you should in Vegas), you can add multiple layers with deeper and deeper results. Synthetics go on and off very easily, so adding a new layer after every wash or every few washes will keep it looking pristine and very well protected.

As mentioned above, high quality (Korean made) micro fiber towels is what should be used on todays paints..... especially black. Keep that baby swirl free.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Why would you want a showroom shine when you could do better and probably already have :D? Stick around here and you'll be going bananas like the rest of us. I just did a detail on my 2002 with 116K miles and I can guaranee it looks better than the day I bought it.

Living in your climate I would go with a good synthetic wax such as Duragloss Total Performance Polish (it's a wax). As for frequent waxing, I think a good spray on wax like Duragloss Aquawax 951 would be ideal and convenient for in between full detailing. No, I'm not a paid spokesperson for Duragloss :D.

The truck looks awesome by the way.

John

·
Registered
814 Posts
Polish as needed usually about 2-3 times a year or as needed to fix any problems.
I wash 'Da Black Beast' once a week and buff any problems from driving that week as to keep on top of things. ;)

Check out this site for 'How to Videos' as this is the stuff I use on my truck.

Instructional Detailing Videos

·
Registered
279 Posts
I too have a 2011 Black TRD. I did a full detail when new over the winter (9k miles now) and since then have done the hood and roof again.
I have spot buffed two minor areas as well. It is time for a second full detail. I'll probably do four full details a year.
I do about 25 details a year (all total, all cars) so I feel pretty confident but I am not a pro, by a long stretch.
I will say this, I had forgotten how hard it is to keep black looking good. I need to step up my drying game as others said.
I have had a lot of silver cars and it is easy to think you are good on silver. Black makes you feel like a novice again!
You truck looks fantastic. I am new to this forum and many here seem to like certain products, which is common to forums.
I can tell you that "Klasse" is a tremendous poly sealer and you would be pleased trying it as well. The red Klasse.
The gray Klasse is a glaze.
All the common sources for detailing supplies have it online.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I just did my 2000 yesterday. I use meguiare ultimate compound, using an orbital buffer to put on, and take off, then a double sided micro fiber/terry cloth to final wipe. I then used the meguiares ultimate quik wax to put a coat of wax onto it to help prolong the shine. I will probally do one or two more coats of the wax just to help out a bit. As far as how much, I do mine once, maybe twice a year. I do off road with my truck, 3 weeks ago the whole truck was covered in mud, now its like new, minus the million rock chips.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts