Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Just wanted to inform folks about my issue and I will let you know how it is resolved. Also, this may help others diagnose problems in the future. Other that that, this thread is useless.

I have a front left wheel bearing (hub assembly) that is totally shot. We put the truck on the lift today and as soon as the wheel left the ground it tilted noticeably. It has about a full inch of play side to side, top to bottom when on the lift. We suspected it was a wheel bearing before we picked her up, but that confirmed it.

The progression of the symptoms for those of you who are interested:

1. First it started making a squeak, like a squeaky wheel. many many miles ago
2. Started making more of a chatter (mostly audible at slower speeds) (two weeks ago)
3. Started sounding like you were driving on gravel, especially when slowing down (last week)
4. When slowing down to a stop, ABS would vibrate the brake pedal (few days ago)

Wheel bearings are like other bearings or idler pulleys. If they squeak, they will eventually go bad. They may squeak for a long time but then when they decide to go, they go quickly.

The last symptom is caused because when the hub assembly wiggles around , it can move the pads around in the calipers. The ABS tone ring is inside the hub assembly, and when you step on the brake, the calipers squeeze the pads and try to straighten out the wheel. The tone ring moves, and it confuses the ABS.

I have extended warranty on my truck, but I do not trust others to touch my truck. However, I am having a Toyota dealer look at it tomorrow (they say they have to look at it, even though I told them what is wrong and that it is covered. I already checked) Hopefully they will not give me a hard time about the drop springs/ spindles, 22" wheels, etc. I have a feeling if my truck was stock, they would jump through flaming hoops to get it fixed, I hope that is the case. I realize they can't deny my claim unless they prove my mods caused the failure, but I don't feel like arguing my way through the Toyota food chain

If they do not cover it, I don't really care because I would almost rather fix it myself anyways and just spend the money on the part. It will take me less than 2 hours start to finish to swap out the hub assembly, as I have already done it on this truck twice. (left side and right side, drop kit install)

Maybe TRD sparks will send me a PM with a special price :)

-Tim

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a rear bearing go out at 60,411. mine had a resonance and you could feel the steering wheel vibrate - like a motor mount was missing not like a balance issue, and could really feel it as I coasted from 60-50 as well as hearing a growl as if I had knobby tires. Toyo dealership in Crystal River FL did the work and were OUTSTANDING in every way - wish the lame azz Serra Toyota in Birmingham was 1/10th as competent. Cost me nothing by the way since I was so close on drivetrain warranty(according to them)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Did you have to remove the hub assembly when you installed your front drop?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have to remove the hub assembly when you installed your front drop?
Yessir, I installed 2" drop spindles. That would not cause the bearing to go bad, but they might fight me about the install being done incorrectly (which it wasn't)

however, if they don't fix it, they don't get paid. Everybody is looking for work and even though it only pays 2 hours and it's half time warranty work, they might as well fix it.

-Tim

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yessir, I installed 2" drop spindles. That would not cause the bearing to go bad, but they might fight me about the install being done incorrectly (which it wasn't)

however, if they don't fix it, they don't get paid. Everybody is looking for work and even though it only pays 2 hours and it's half time warranty work, they might as well fix it.

-Tim
My dealer said, nope its not the truck, it was the people who installed your lift. I said, oh? the people who do all your lifts for your new trucks? Are you implying that you wouldn't warranty any of their work? Needless to say the people who put on my lift got them to warranty all the parts. They even tried to blame my remote start!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dealer said, nope its not the truck, it was the people who installed your lift. I said, oh? the people who do all your lifts for your new trucks? Are you implying that you wouldn't warranty any of their work? Needless to say the people who put on my lift got them to warranty all the parts. They even tried to blame my remote start!!!!!!!!!!
Lol. Glad you at least got it fixed. Only reason a lifted truck might be a little rougher on a wheel bearing is if you had 40" tires. A truck that can tow 10klbs and has 15" rotors should have HD wheel bearings.

I've heard those remote starts can cause hub issues :rolleyes:

-Tim

·
Registered
90 Posts
My girl was laughing as she heard me talking to the tech over the phone... He had that Lumbergh voice. "yeah we see that you have an aftermarket remote start, that may be the reason why you abs is going off." No, my abs is going off because I have a broken speed sensor. Oh let me get back to you.

Yeah your wheel is moving in and out about an inch. The nut isnt tightened. Wait what? Just fix my fk'n truck!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, showed up for my appt and he wrote up my service ticket.

He said he had me down for noisy front wheel and recall work. I asked if it was 90L, he said yes. I told him I did not want that done. He said ok and wrote customer declined.

I sat around for about an hour and he tapped me on the shoulder. He said the wheel bearing is bad, it is covered under your extended warranty, but the parts won't be in until Friday.

He pulled my truck around and told me that just from driving around the back of the shop, he couldn't believe the power said I didn't need a supercharger. Only thing he said that I had to argue with.

This was stone mtn Toyota. Mod friendly!

-Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts