Toyota Tundra Forums banner

wd hitch recommendation

7K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  envelopo1 
#1 ·
Advice needed. Best 10,000 cap WD Hitch? 2010 dbl cab short box 5.7. Gonna buy TT with wt and cap no more than 4200/6000

#2 ·
Best: Hensley Arrow or ProPride ($2500-$3200). Probably not necessary, but if you have the cash, buy one.
Great: Equal-i-zer or Reese HP Dual Cam. Different methods of sway control and implementation, same excellent results. I've owned both and like both equally.

Everything else: dunno.

Tom

#3 ·
How much are you willing to spend?

On the pricey side of things > $1500
ProPride
Hensley Arrow

Not as much and does a good job < $1000
DrawTite/Reese available in a variety of weight ratings to suit your needs. I use a DrawTite WDH with 10,000 Lb tension bars and friction sway control on my 24' 9K loaded enclosed trailer and it works fine.

I've heard good things about equalizer as well but no personal experience.

decide on a budget and Google it.

#6 ·
I've shopped around, talked to a lot of folks currently towing and came to the decision to buy the Equal-i-zer. I have the 12k version and tow a 23 foot TT (27 foot total) and have had zero problems with it, once it was dialed in. Great thing about the this hitch is you can tow, back-up, and turn without touching the hitch. No backing off the sway control to park.

#7 ·
I see the Equilizer is meantioned quite a bit, does anyone know any major differences between the Equilizer and other major brands, the technology in which it DW, or something of that sort?

#8 ·
I use the equalizer too. It's a great hitch. Best part is that it's easy to use and easy to change while on the road if you need to change it.

#10 ·
The head angle determines how much weight is distributed. As the head is tilted down, the bars transfer more weight to the front truck axles and trailer axles. You should adjust the head angle until the front axles have the same amount of weight before and after hooking up. This can be done by weighing the rig or by measuring the wheel well height. If you use measurements, make sure you measure from the wheel rim. Measuring from the ground or tire might result in improper adjustment.

Tom

#11 ·
The head angle determines how much weight is distributed. As the head is tilted down, the bars transfer more weight to the front truck axles and trailer axles. You should adjust the head angle until the front axles have the same amount of weight before and after hooking up. This can be done by weighing the rig or by measuring the wheel well height. If you use measurements, make sure you measure from the wheel rim. Measuring from the ground or tire might result in improper adjustment.

Tom
x2 what he said. Currently my equalizer is subtracting weight from the front to where I'm about 60lbs below the GAWR for the rear. I need to add another washer or two to make it the same and spread that weight to the front a bit.

#14 ·
I've shopped around, talked to a lot of folks currently towing and came to the decision to buy the Equal-i-zer. I have the 12k version and tow a 23 foot TT (27 foot total) and have had zero problems with it, once it was dialed in. Great thing about the this hitch is you can tow, back-up, and turn without touching the hitch. No backing off the sway control to park.

This is my exact setup with a 32ft trailer weighing in loaded about 8k, no issues...period.

Good stuff for less than $500.00

#16 ·
Eaz-Lift started the whole W/d hitch back in the '50's. Their system was the bent bars and patented so for fourteen years they were the game in town. Patents expired and everyone made W/D hitches and funny they still look like the Eaz-Lift today. They all claim to be better mousetraps, but they still do the same thing. And it's a good thing!
The Hensley and Pro-Pride are magnificent W/D hitches and if you have a large heavy trailer consider one of the two. Your considering a 4500/6000 lb. trailer I would go to your local hitch shop and brainstorm with them. Make sure it's set up properly (most important). When they're set up properly with the ball angled down towards the back, it doesn't look right IMHO but the angle is critical. Don't go overboard with your spring bars i.e. 1,000 lb. bars the ride will be bone jarring in your case! You will shake your trailer apart.
The way to judge the proper spring bars is to jump up and down on the bumper of your truck, if you can make it move, you want the same travel when the trailer is hooked up with the W/D hitch. The spring bars are supposed to act as springs and transfer weight. On miles of ad roads you will appreciate the ride.
Good luck with your TT.
TerryC

#17 ·
Using 1000lb equalizer with my 6K TT now for 3000 miles, no issues. Like others I would recommend highly. Very stable in wind, interstate, etc. I have also used a generic weight distributing hitch and friction sway control with decent results, but the equalizer is better. A plus is you can back up without removing the stupid sway controller. One needs to be very scientific about set up with the equalizer, however the instructions are decent enough and they are very responsive if you phone in any questions during set up. Get the equalizer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.