Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was told that I should coat my chrome rims with WD40 every couple of months. Anyone have input on this? I've heard of guys with Harley's using it on their chrome parts to fight against pitting and keeping moisture away just wondering if it would work on my rims.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i would think u would only attract dust and brake dust especially. just keep the wheels clean and waxed and they should be fine i would think. im not from a coastal area (or a friggin island although i'd loooove to live there) so perhaps thats why i have never had any issues with rust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would be very careful about spraying any type of lubricant around disk brakes. As far as this being a Harley riders trick, I've been riding for almost 40 years and never heard of this. Several coats of Megs, NXT would be my approach.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nerts on the WD. Stick to a good automotive wax.

Apply it with your fingers, so you can feel any grit, which if not removed, would scratch the chrome.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again guys guess I just wax(the rims).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I clean mine with total cycle cleaner from the local Harley Dealer. No wiping or scrubing just spray it on wait a couple of minutes and hit it with the hose. You will be surprised with the out come, I use it on my Harley and boy does it shine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how old are your rims? does the spray protect it as well as clean? If it does might have to check on it. Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
i use to use Pig Spit on my chrome bars for my truck and i used wd 40 in the winter to protect from road salt but they woould look dirty with the wd and the pig spit kept them shiny.
i se to get the pig spit at walmart. haven't needed it for anything recently tho, so don't know if walmart still carries it, but it is good stuff.

·
Registered
315 Posts
To clean chrome plating; Mild soap, water, HS rag. Or chrome specific spray on cleaner. (Be careful where the over spray goes, some of the better cleaners are mild acids.)

Wax to protect and polish. Or again...chrome specific protectant/polish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts