Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Tundra TRD Sport 5.7 DC with tow Package. I am looking at a 2020 Forest River Geo Pro 19fbs. Hitch weight is listed at 413# UVW is listed at 3100# and CCC is 838#. So fully loaded it will be about 4000#.

Do I need a weight distribution system or just perhaps sway control? I tow my 3300 lb bass boat and have been for years without any of that with much lesser of a TV and hardly know it is back there. Understanding that they are different animals but when looking at my trucks capabilities this TT is over 1000# less than half of the trucks max tow rating. The truck is rated at 9900# towing and 1630# payload.

Not having to deal with the WDH would be nice but if I have to get one then I would rather be safe than sorry. If I did get one would it make sense to get one that is rated for my max for the truck so that I can upgrade to a larger TT in the future or should I get a WDH to match what I am thinking of towing?

Thanks for any input in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2019 Tundra TRD Sport 5.7 DC with tow Package. I am looking at a 2020 Forest River Geo Pro 19fbs. Hitch weight is listed at 413# UVW is listed at 3100# and CCC is 838#. So fully loaded it will be about 4000#.

Do I need a weight distribution system or just perhaps sway control? I tow my 3300 lb bass boat and have been for years without any of that with much lesser of a TV and hardly know it is back there. Understanding that they are different animals but when looking at my trucks capabilities this TT is over 1000# less than half of the trucks max tow rating. The truck is rated at 9900# towing and 1630# payload.

Not having to deal with the WDH would be nice but if I have to get one then I would rather be safe than sorry. If I did get one would it make sense to get one that is rated for my max for the truck so that I can upgrade to a larger TT in the future or should I get a WDH to match what I am thinking of towing?

Thanks for any input in advance
We towed a Forest River RPOD all around the country with just a friction anti-sway bar and it was all that was needed. Probably 300-400 on the hitch. Maybe 3000 loaded. By itself a WDH doesn't help sway unless there is anti-sway tech built in like on the Equalizer. I would check the real tongue weight out as you might be surprised at how heavy it really is. As long as the real hitch weight+cargo+passengers doesn't get near 1630 you should be OK with just a friction bar. I would not go without anything. I have a heavier trailer now and use an Equalizer. Nice but heavy hitch. With a 2 inch shank it is right about 100 pounds. I would recommend it over the friction bar because the truck will not squat as much. Should be better on the tires too. It just depends on how many miles you tow.

As far as what size to get, I'm probably not the best person to answer that, but I'b be inclined to get one rated for the largest trailer you intend to tow at $600 each. We have about a 6K trailer loaded with almost 1000 on the hitch and a 10K equalizer has about 25K miles on it. Just got rid of the Tundra for a 2500. That was really too much tongue weight for the Tundra.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts