Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have this problem for the last couple years, when the tempature hits in the 90's and the humidity is 70% plus my A/C can not keep up and cool the truck down enough. It really has to work hard, it seems as though it can not pull enough mositure out of the air, but if the temp drops down to the mid 80's and even if the humidity stay's up it will cool much better, but works the best at below 70% humidity. Good thing is most years this type of weather will last long in the Cincinnati area maybe a month but this year we have had a lot of these days.

Any ideas on fixing this, or what can make it work better, I was thinking of replacing the receiver dryer, and reservicing it, any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
this will help. most folks keep the windows up when the start the car and hit the A/C button. but the quickest way to cool down a hot car/truck is to roll down all windows went you get in it and then roll them up after a couple of blocks of driving. gets the 150 degree heat out of there quickly so the A/C can condition the much cooler fresh air (ever if its 90 degrees outside).

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2000 does that as well. It only became a problem in the last year or so. There is a small leak in the condenser. A can refrigerant gets it to blow cold again short term. Most likely I'll replace the condenser myself.

You might want to look at the condenser or connection points for signs of leaking. Look for signs of oil/grime from the leaking fluid.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I would think that taking it some place where they throw in the die and check it for leaks would be the quickest and most simple way to find the problem. Could be something as small as one of the rubber O rings is no good and just leaking at a connection. Maybe I missed something in your post but why replace anything till you know where the problem is?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Also when getting into a hot vehicle use recirculate to cool things down quicker.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had the same problem . Just wash your radiator and condensor good with a garden hose. Overtime mud and dirt build up between the fins not allowing the air to blow through

·
Registered
13 Posts
Recirculate cools quicker only if the initial heat is removed from a hot vehicle first. Like it was said above, open the windows, fresh air button on, blower speed 2 or 3 till it gets cold. Once at a comfortable temp, close all windows, turn recirculate on, blower on high. This cools the inside much quicker. Having tinted widows also helps reduce the amount of heat.

If recirculate is left on after the truck has been sitting in the sun, your just recirculating hot air untill it cools, witch can take a while, the key is getting the hot air out of the vehicle first. Your system may also be a little low on charge, I would have a a/c service check & make sure it has a full charge.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a great help as my system is still tight I have installed on a 134 freon machine and done a leak check.

There were some other points in here that people brought up that could help also about opening the windows and fan on push out the hot air then close up and go to recirculate. It just seems odd as I parked under a tree, with a windshield screen in place, the temps in the cab were 110-120 I have a therometer and it is just so slow to cool and in traffic it sucks, on the highway is better, that is why I think I will go for the fan clutch oil first this truck is ten years old. If that helps but I am still not happy I will go with a new receiver/dyer.

Thanks all for your inputs.
Kevin

·
Registered
697 Posts
How clean is yer evaporator coil? That's the coil that's inside yer truck cab...underneath the dash. If it's all gummed up with leaves, dirt, dust, debris, it's not gonna remove the heat very well. You can pull the blower motor out and take a piccie with a point and shoot digital cam. You can git the micro adapters fer a shop vac and suck that crud up. If you try to wash it down the drain, it could clog up the drain to the point where condensation will freeze on the coil and cycle yer AC system off too soon. :(

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How clean is yer evaporator coil? That's the coil that's inside yer truck cab...underneath the dash. If it's all gummed up with leaves, dirt, dust, debris, it's not gonna remove the heat very well. You can pull the blower motor out and take a piccie with a point and shoot digital cam. You can git the micro adapters fer a shop vac and suck that crud up. If you try to wash it down the drain, it could clog up the drain to the point where condensation will freeze on the coil and cycle yer AC system off too soon. :(
I just finished Tuesday afternoon getting in and cleaning that out not real bad but now the temps are down till this weekend so we will see what happens I am suppose to get the clutch oil here in the next day or so, and that will done next.
Thanks.

Kevin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts