Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Tundra V8 Access Cab with towing package. I need help deciding whether to replace the leaking airbags or install a weight distribution hitch (WDH). I have a 25ft travel trailer that is 4200 dry weight. I have an add a leaf and the Air Lift 59530 Ride Control airbag system. Both bags are leaking. Without the help of the air bags my back end sags badly. I have read that a WDH system is preferred over airbags. What WDH system should I install? If I install a WDH do I have to remove the airbags? Also seems some WDH systems don't allow backing up? I really appreciate some help making the decision? Thank you!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Difference between the two is that an airbag doesn't distribute/transfer weight, it is simply just raising the back of the truck up. Where as a WDH is creating a torsion effect that is pushing weight forward in the truck onto the front axle.

A good WDH will also do more than just distribute weight, it will also aid to prevent any trailer sway. I have the Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH. I consider it a middle of the road WDH that wont break the bank, $400-600. I drove from OKC to Anchorage last year and had zero issues or complaints.

A lot of the WDH you see with chains really only help distribute weight and you often see many people add an anti-sway bar to those setups. These are the entry level or bottom of the line setups and can be purchased for $100-200.

If you have really deep pockets you could spend upwards of $3g on some!!!

As far as backing up, I leave mine on and I have no issues.

This link will give you a better understanding of the benefits of a WDH over airbags: WDH v. Airbags

·
Registered
3 Posts
For towing my 5K TT, I run an Equalizer brand WDH and SumoSprings helper bumpstop springs on my 2003. You need to make sure to setup the WDH correctly and re-adjust if you change our truck's height (suspension or tire size changes) The SumoSprings do make the already hard ride a bit harder but the truck is either towing or hauling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a Reese Strait-Line WDH with trunnion sway control for my 4,400 lb travel trailer. It not only helps distribute the weight but prevents sway from happening before it starts. There’s no need to unhook anything when backing up.
I don’t use airbags, all I did was clamp the overload leaf springs to the rest as posted here to stop that aggravating clunk when letting off the brakes after a stop.
The hitch was around $600, more than I wanted to spend however I wanted to have piece of mind out on the highways. Ordered it from etrailer.com, install is a bit challenging (it was my first one) and not particularly fond of the rivnuts used to secure the frame brackets.
Another thing is the popping sounds that happen when turning as the bars come in & out of the cams, you get used to it as normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts