Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is strange, had an oil change one week ago at dealer and noticed it afterward.

It only happens if I first start the TRUCK and then drive it at around 12-15 m.p.h. it sounds like a stone hit the front stone guard under truck. It wont do it after that no matter what. I have TO stop , turn off engine, RESTART PUT IN D and drive and will hear it at 10-15 m.p.h. and then wont hear it at all no matter how many stops and starts. No oil leaks and steel plate is tight and not loose.

I have a 4x2 5.7 2007 crewmax.

THIS IS REALLY WEIRD!?!

If any ideas other then take it to dealer.........

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mine does that too.. Someone did mention that its normal. I think its the system check that only does it after you start the truck and when its driven at around 14 mph. The noise is often masked by the auto door locking system at the same speed.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently had the AUTO door lock changed from the 15 mph to when I place it in D SO I hear it.

This sometimes sounds like a rock hitting the Skid plate and you can feel it in the accelerator pedal.

Hard to believe it is NORMAL? The thing is loud sometimes!

But always at 10-15 m.p.h. and only after you start it and drive, wont do it if you have been driving and stop and put it in P then D and drive again.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may be what you guys are saying but sometimes it sounds like a spring and others like a rock hitting skid plate?!?

But always at same time.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YOURS sounds like a ding, spring pinging or rock hitting the rock guard under truck!?!

Mine does that too.. Someone did mention that its normal. I think its the system check that only does it after you start the truck and when its driven at around 14 mph. The noise is often masked by the auto door locking system at the same speed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine has been doing it since 2003. I was first concerned about it. The Toyota guy claimed he never heard of it. Another Tundra owner had it too. I found out here that it is normal, the ABS system just doing it's check. Every morning at the same place in the street about 100 feet past my driveway, it makes the noise.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Mine has been doing it since 2003. I was first concerned about it. The Toyota guy claimed he never heard of it. Another Tundra owner had it too. I found out here that it is normal, the ABS system just doing it's check. Every morning at the same place in the street about 100 feet past my driveway, it makes the noise.
LOL, walk down the street and look for the pothole you've been hitting - since 2003! LMAO. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same noise on my 2010 DC at the same spot once I turn out of my driveway. The dealer did not know what it was, but tested some new Tundras on the lot and said they did it too. Some one on this forum stated it was some system check. It appears to be a normal "clunk". This is weird, as no other truck I have had, GM's, did this with their ABS. I have quit worrying about it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There was an old thread about this in 2007 or so when the "new" Tundra's came out. The discussion was that all the new Tundra's did it and someone who was with Toyota said it was like Mendonsy said above - the ABS system engaging.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess the ABS CLUNK was unmasked once I had the dealer make the locks lock when truck is in D as opposed to when it hit 12 mph since new. This was done when they put in new accelerator assembly due to fact they disconnect battery.

Thanks to all for me not having to go to dealer!:tu:

·
Registered
1 Posts
@seadragon can you tell me where to find this excerpt in the service manual. I have a 2011 Toyota Sequoia SR% 5.7L and it does the EXACT thing. Just would like to read more about it. We did have a new battery put in about a year in half ago. Heard it thought nothing of it. Then it continued on. They said change your brakes we did that and it still continues to this day with that sound like a ding, spring pinging or rock hitting the rock guard under truck. Thanks and have a great day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts