Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I last drove my truck last the gas needle was exactly at 1/4 tank. This morning when I started it it read 1/4 tank... then the needle slowly started getting lower, all the way to empty and the gas light came on.

I started to drive to work and it took about 10-12 minutes of driving and the needle very slowly started going back up to 1/4 tank.

It was 32 degrees this morning, not too cold. I have started it in much colder temps (down to 10 degrees) and I have never seen this before.

Has anyone ever seen this or heard of this?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
That is weird. Is this the only time it has happened?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, Ive never seen this happen before.

2010 - bought in september - only about 5k miles

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
not sure what to tell you as far as what the problem might be but I will say your truck looks awesome!!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Now if you could do that for a week or so, you would really have something!!:first:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, it was only that guage. all the others seems to be operating as they should

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
That is strange. When it went down were you on a steep incline or decline? Thats about the only thing I can think of. You could have filled up with gas to see how many gallons would fit in the tank so you knew how much gas was in it... I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it happens again.

Your truck looks bad a**!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I've had on one or two occasions where after I fill up, the needle will register at one place, then for the next 2-3 starts keep registering higher.

-rockstate

·
Registered
122 Posts
yeah, Ive never seen this happen before.

2010 - bought in september - only about 5k miles
Funny, mine is a 2010 also that I bought last september and it is doing the exact same thing. Mine does it all the time when it gets to around half a tank. The needle will drop down and the low fuel light will come on, then if I let the truck sit a little while it will go back to normal. When i am filling up the needle will act real funny and go up and down real slow until the tank is full. It acts as if the float in the tank is sticking. I dont know but I thought that was real funny that your is a 2010 bought last september like mine and they both have the same problem. Hmmm.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
When it went down were you on a steep incline or decline? Thats about the only thing I can think of.
That would be my guess as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Funny, mine is a 2010 also that I bought last september and it is doing the exact same thing. Mine does it all the time when it gets to around half a tank. The needle will drop down and the low fuel light will come on, then if I let the truck sit a little while it will go back to normal. When i am filling up the needle will act real funny and go up and down real slow until the tank is full. It acts as if the float in the tank is sticking. I dont know but I thought that was real funny that your is a 2010 bought last september like mine and they both have the same problem. Hmmm.

Sound like another RECALL for Toyota.

BT

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nope, wasn't on an incline, it was perfectly level and I wasn't even moving when it started to go down.
1BADTOY - maybe its just the september tundra's haha

and of course there is NO way to recreate it to show the dealer so they won't do anything...

·
Registered
122 Posts
nope, wasn't on an incline, it was perfectly level and I wasn't even moving when it started to go down.
1BADTOY - maybe its just the september tundra's haha

and of course there is NO way to recreate it to show the dealer so they won't do anything...
Maybe so! Mine was also on level ground. I can recreate it on mine cause it does it all the time when it gets around half a tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts